Author Topic: MK7.5 retrofit  (Read 7344 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: MK7.5 retrofit
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2017, 11:39 »
I've said it before and I'll say it again... its already "computer controlled". At the moment the computer actuates the mechanical needle based on digital information received from other sensors.

This is just the final transformation.

Your Mk7 already has just about everything computer controlled, even the things you think are mechanical.

Probably you should stick to cars from pre-2000 if you want that feeling of "mechanical engagement"

Its not as if do not understand its computer controlled, as certainly do, am in the tech industry, and have a house full of tech! so a slightly dismissive response, its more about the aesthetics and just another screen with average graphics is not that attractive opposed to having dials as the centerpiece.

Golf dials not a great example, the R slightly better than the GTD owned but for example the S3 dials are a lovely centerpiece

Think some of the issue is that the graphics are not that great, they are clean, good and flat, but not that great

if look around at other LCD car displays, including top end, you can see the potential, as some really pop out at you and are impressive.

The MIB UI & graphics were initially quite poor but have improved and that's the hope, that down the development cycle the LCD displays have better graphics that separate, as the most basic brands will be having these as standard in not too distant

So, not stuck in the dark ages, appreciate tech as much as anyone, but these screens add nothing to the premium feel of cars in the £30-40k range, which may be cheap to some but for many that's a heavy investment in a car.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 15 March 2017, 12:05 »
Well, its only software, in theory they could "facelift" the dials any time they wanted, but much like when Google updates Android and all of your phone changes appearances, there will be user flak about it.

Being German, I doubt they will change it until they come out with a Mk8.

I keep saying car makers need to get with the 21st century - customers are used to and expect software updates on the hardware they have already bought, not a fork-lift upgrade...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2017, 12:13 »
Well, its only software, in theory they could "facelift" the dials any time they wanted, but much like when Google updates Android and all of your phone changes appearances, there will be user flak about it.

Being German, I doubt they will change it until they come out with a Mk8.

I keep saying car makers need to get with the 21st century - customers are used to and expect software updates on the hardware they have already bought, not a fork-lift upgrade...

This is my area, developments and you are so correct, the expectation is linear, seamless upgrades and VW and car manufacturers in general need to come up with a better mechanism to provide more regular updates, especially those issues rated as high. 

You also likely right on the upgrading of the LCD as it will be done at a specific point of a facelift or new model and no time in between, aside from some 'fixes' at services that you get at present. 
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2017, 13:21 »
I've said it before and I'll say it again... its already "computer controlled". At the moment the computer actuates the mechanical needle based on digital information received from other sensors.

This is just the final transformation.

Your Mk7 already has just about everything computer controlled, even the things you think are mechanical.

Probably you should stick to cars from pre-2000 if you want that feeling of "mechanical engagement"

As Hertsman said earlier it is obvious to everyone that it is computer controlled (in fact even stating it sounds like a bad attempt in sarcasm) but we are not debating on going back to carburetors or drive-by-cable or anything like that. I certainly embrace the digital switch-over in several areas of a modern car especially when there is clear benefit to be had: quicker command completion, less effort etc. I'm not at all the "oh modern digital cars are crap, gimme something I can maintain with my good ol' ratchet" guy. But sticking to the dials, it's mainly the aesthetics and feeling in something (still) as mechanical as a ICE-driven car that doesn't feel right, at least to some of us, with no obvious benefit in return.

And let me explain why the point on possible hiccups/bugs/crashes on the main dash is still valid. Currently the speed and rev needles are permanently fed from a specific (be it digital) input, that's it. Introducing a screen with selectable and customizable interface and information is quite different. More importantly, apart from the extra hardware, there is a new dedicated program that manages it and there is no indication that it will be more tested and bullet-proof than say the MIBII unit that indeed can suffer from occasional brain-farts. Now if that affects having access to vital data like your current speed it becomes more serious (imagine someone caught speeding because his dash display wouldn't switch from say maps to full speedo or anything similar, and that's just an example). Last weekend,  - for the first time ever in 6 months but even so - my MIBII decided it would only show Media and Nav data, switching to actual driving data showed a hopeless black screen that refused to go away until I had the opportunity to stop and restart the car...
« Last Edit: 15 March 2017, 13:27 by scanesare »

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2017, 20:07 »
On another note, are the headlights and taillights compatible between the MK7 and the facelift? The taillights have the dynamic indicators like Audis and the new Mustang.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 15 March 2017, 20:40 »
New bumpers front and rear as far as I know, might well make fitting the lights difficult?

Even if not, once again these aren't bulb holders connecting to a 12V cable. The lights are an active subcomponent that talks over the internal network.

I doubt if it will work on a Mk7 because the main system won't talk to the new light systems...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 15 March 2017, 20:49 »
On another note, are the headlights and taillights compatible between the MK7 and the facelift? The taillights have the dynamic indicators like Audis and the new Mustang.

Apparently, the front wings are different; see extract from Company News section of VW website - 'Updated Golf' item dated 1st Feb below (link to full news item also below). Whether this means the headlamp apertures in the wings are a slightly different profile, it's not clear. However, if they are different, then the LED headlamps wouldn't physically fit.

'Design modifications include new bumpers front and rear, new halogen headlights with LED daytime running lights or full LED headlights – standard in higher specification cars and optional in other models – instead of xenon headlights; new front wings; and, as mentioned, new full LED rear lights as standard for all Golf versions'.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/774
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 16 March 2017, 20:46 »
New bumpers front and rear as far as I know, might well make fitting the lights difficult?

Even if not, once again these aren't bulb holders connecting to a 12V cable. The lights are an active subcomponent that talks over the internal network.

I doubt if it will work on a Mk7 because the main system won't talk to the new light systems...

The rear clusters have same size/shape and they fit. Aparently it works with a bit of wiring and VCDS coding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkA0jDNKVJU
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 March 2017, 22:18 »

The rear clusters have same size/shape and they fit. Aparently it works with a bit of wiring and VCDS coding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkA0jDNKVJU

That is great news, so when I get a Mk7 facelift I can retro fit the Mk7 rear lights :whistle: don't like the new rear lights at all.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Dubbit

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2017, 14:41 »
I know someone said you couldn't fit the mph rev counter screen, but anyone had any luck or heard about switching the audio system screen?