Author Topic: Mk6 Golf GTI Third Brake Light Replacement  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Rowley102

• Just got here
Mk6 Golf GTI Third Brake Light Replacement
« on: 25 January 2017, 14:06 »
I have a 2009 VW Golf Mk6 GTI and the third brake light has failed as they usually do. (LEDs broken and rest have gone dim and theres the light out fault on the dashboard) I have been browsing the internet to find mixed ways of replacing the light unit. Some say the spoiler has to be removed and some say it can be done without removing it. I have been told by VW and my paint shop that the spoiler has to come off and usually breaks when it does due to the strength of the bond used, VW want £300 for a new one and it will need to be sprayed to match my cars paint. I have tried to get VW to contribute or pay for the spoiler if it does break while they are changing the part as part of their goodwill, but they dont want anything to do with it unless I pay for it all which will be around £400 if the spoiler does break which is excessive for a faulty £40 light unit which should be serviceable in the first place. I am wondering if people have replaced the unit with removing the spoiler? I have found a PDF document as seen below and am not sure if the spoiler has to be remobed or not. And also a YouTube video.

http://www.thewindinglane.co.uk/images/mk6gti/misc/rearLight.pdf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3xuBYPFa-Y

Thanks in advance

Sam

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Mk6 Golf GTI Third Brake Light Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2017, 17:07 »
So.... according to the video, you need one small flat screwdriver in order to save £400  :huh: :grin:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Mk6 Golf GTI Third Brake Light Replacement
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2017, 17:42 »
That looks simple enough. I don't think much of the flashing brake light module it the other videos tho'. It looks like a tired florescent tube starting up.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.