Author Topic: VAQ Differential Servicing - mk7 GTI PP  (Read 16444 times)

Offline fergie7

• Not said much yet
Re: VAQ Differential Servicing - mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2016, 17:00 »
£65 is a very decent price, the oil on it's own from VW is £35-£40!  With the car already up on the lift for it's service anyway I cant see it taking much more than 10-15 mins to do, maybe 30-40mins if being done as a standalone service including preparation and paperwork time.

My car is due in for service on Tuesday, I've not requested the diff oil change yet, will see if they can come down much on the price and if not then will probably just do it myself later when I have the car up to put the winter wheels on (already ordered a bottle of the oil from TPS in any case). 

I reached a hand down from the top of the engine bay today to get to the filling hole and confirmed the plugs take an 8mm hex bit.  Just need to get some clear tubing to be able to fill it from the top.

MkI Golf GTI 1.8 (1982)
MkVII Golf GTI PP (2013)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 30 November 2016, 17:28 »
There's supposed to be 1000 miles leeway on services, my dad went a little late on his 3rd service and it wasn't a bother to the dealer. He got a full end of warranty inspection too and had a bit of work based on stored fault codes.

It really shouldn't matter to the dealer - VW pay them to do that service-pack service, perhaps the dealer just didn't want the reduced hourly rate of VW sanctioned work as it had plenty of private rate work to be getting on with? Try another dealer.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #22 on: 21 June 2017, 13:43 »
Old thread revival because I couldn't find any more info.

My cars 3 yrs old so thought I'd ask the question at the dealers about VAQ Diff oil change - lots of scratching of heads, rang around a few dealers & I get the same response  :lipsrsealed: Took to twitter and get the following response from VW Uk

"Thanks for your patience! We've had it confirmed by our technicians that the VAQ differential does not require periodic fluid replacement in the same way that an engine or gearbox might. Our only advice is to follow the vehicle's general service schedule to keep on top of your vehicle's day to day maintenance. We hope this clarifies."

In the meantime I'd booked it in at the local dealers £70 and an hours wait. (price isn't too bad)

So the dilemma I have is, the VAQ Diff is working faultlessly so why mess with it? But old skool me thinks an oil change would be a sensible thing - wouldn't it?

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 21 June 2017, 14:34 by Eccie »

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #23 on: 22 June 2017, 10:08 »
Wow that video on the VAQ diff is boring. I actually fell asleep.

When I managed to sit through the whole thing - the first part is too technical for me, the middle bit is quite interesting and Q&A at the end was over my head.

However, anyone who has, or is considering getting, a GTI Performance should have a watch. From 18:30 to 33:30mins (15 minutes) is the best bit. VW have a video on YouTube that is shorter and covers the essentials. Though it does feel like it's just an advert.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2017, 08:58 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 22 June 2017, 10:54 »
it's an interesting video, and makes me wonder why with having the perf pack increases ones insurance. because with my basic understasnding of it it makes me think that the car is a lot safer in the areas where a lot of people will have troubles with driving, especially the fast lane change.  it's definitely made my mind up. :)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #25 on: 24 June 2017, 20:53 »
I still recommend watching the full video https://vimeo.com/102644851 - from 18:30 to 33:30.

It shows the advantages of VAQ eLSD diff without the disadvantages of AWD i.e. extra weight and much lower fuel economy.

Here is the short 1m15sec video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqh2Tv5Puc

I wonder why this is not an option on the GTD?
« Last Edit: 24 June 2017, 21:22 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #26 on: 19 July 2017, 11:13 »

My cars 3 yrs old so thought I'd ask the question at the dealers about VAQ Diff oil change - lots of scratching of heads, rang around a few dealers & I get the same response  :lipsrsealed: Took to twitter and get the following response from VW Uk

"Thanks for your patience! We've had it confirmed by our technicians that the VAQ differential does not require periodic fluid replacement in the same way that an engine or gearbox might. Our only advice is to follow the vehicle's general service schedule to keep on top of your vehicle's day to day maintenance. We hope this clarifies."

In the meantime I'd booked it in at the local dealers £70 and an hours wait. (price isn't too bad)

So the dilemma I have is, the VAQ Diff is working faultlessly so why mess with it? But old skool me thinks an oil change would be a sensible thing - wouldn't it?

Same issue i'm having with dealer, they say they know nothing about the diff oil change, i don't mind paying but want them to even understand what the diff is and that it has oil to potentially replace.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #27 on: 19 July 2017, 13:56 »

Same issue i'm having with dealer, they say they know nothing about the diff oil change, i don't mind paying but want them to even understand what the diff is and that it has oil to potentially replace.

Jackie - I had mine done in the end for the bargain price of £70 they quoted me wrong, but honoured the price quoted  :wink:

Invoice states: Renew front diff lock oil change - due at 3 years
WG 060 175 A2        270307/gear oil

Can't say I notice any difference, but I know it's been done so feel a little happier

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #28 on: 19 July 2017, 21:26 »
Thanks

I rang VW UK in the end to confirm the diff oil change is work required at 3 years, then went back to the Dealer service manager to get it sorted.  I explained that i wasn't bringing in a Alfa Juiletta but there own brand 2014 Golf and they should know what it has to have and what a VAQ diff service is.  Anyway £99 for diff oil change with my 3rd year service and the brake fluid change (both the service and brake fluid change are part of the £199 service plan). More worryingly for me was VWUK didn't have a record of any service work for my car (I bought it new 3 years ago)  so had a moan at the dealer for no completing the process on the system correctly for VWUK as i clearly have all the services and docs to prove it.  I will wait a week and call VW UK to confirm they have a record of my services updated.

The other potential issue down the road is this:  I am keeping my car as it was always the plan, spent too much on cars over the last 10 tens to faff about anymore changing so will just get full extended warranty, i wonder what would happen if I had a VAQ diff issue and I hadn't pushed to get the service work done at 3 years?

« Last Edit: 19 July 2017, 21:36 by Jackie Treehorn »

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.