Author Topic: VAQ Differential Servicing - mk7 GTI PP  (Read 16460 times)

Offline monsta

• I live here
Re: VAQ Differential Servicing - mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2016, 11:23 »
I went in for servicing when the car told me to rather than deciding myself based on mileage. The first was normal 10k.  Didn't really consider the terms of the service plan.  I was about 40,000 when it went for it's third service;

1st 10,000 Miles - Long life used, 15k Interval
2nd 25,000 Miles - Long life used, 15k Interval
3rd 40,000 Miles - Passed the threshold for a free service.

I felt a little hard done by that they didn't bother realising they had sold me the 3 year plan and left me on normal oil.  The service manager said they used long life by default.  Sounds a bit of a con to me.

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2016, 13:28 »
I don't want to be harsh, to me it seems you have made a mistake. You have driven your car too far over the 3 year period, sorry mate but you needed to take it for its third service at 30000 miles.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #12 on: 17 September 2016, 16:47 »

Nice forum name, the dude abides...

The dude abides :wink:

I seem to have more questions than answers about this diff, and as always the dealer is not a lot of help.  The oil will, being a small amount, get contaminated and break down due to accumulative use, but will the XDS+ take the load for Yaw as it wears?or does the pump increase to take up the slack?  Are the clutch plates plasma moly coated? Or coated some other way? Will normal diff oil for LSD work? I really don't want to ask these questions at a service counter as the young women on the counter at my dealership will think i am talking a foreign language if i ask these questions.  Not her fault, most punters don't even bother to top up washer water or check the engine oil properly..

Offline fergie7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2016, 21:26 »
Unfortunately not much info at all, either from VW or the OEM.  Would be nice to know the recommended service intervals in terms of strip down, inspection of the clutch plates etc. as well as the the recommended 3 year oil change.  It would be nice to know the estimated longevity in terms of mileage but suppose this would vary massively based on driving style (commuting vs track or enthusiastic B road driving) and potentially the driver selection setting (Sport - Normal).  I would hope that the XDS+ would start to take over as the clutch plates wear, would be ideal if this is able to be detected and flag up a fault code.

The oil change procedure for the VAQ is in ELSA, the guy at the service desk at the dealership pulled it up and went through it, but wouldnt provide any info on part numbers or oil, it shows use of plenty of VAG special tools, but could easily be done at home by the looks of it.  ELSA just states "gear oil".

I've now had another wee look on the internet and managed to find an online ETKA that works, but had to search in Brasil to find the mk7 GTI (CHHA engine code).  In the Front axle-steering section you find "front axle differential lock for 6 speed manual gearbox MQ350 PNP" and "front axle differential lock for 6-speed dual clutch gearbox DQ250 petrol eng.+ CHHA".

For both it states: G06 017 5A2 High-Performance Oil for Haldex Coupling (850ml).
The sealing plugs (both fill and drain) with washer gaskets are (M18x1.5) P/N: WHT007168 Sealing Plug.

Part number for the 6 speed manual would appear to be 02Q 409 055 and for the DSG 0D9 409 055.  This also tallies with other searches of the P/N which brings up references to the Cupra and several units for sale on fleabay etc.  Doesn't show any of the internals or part numbers so I'm guessing for now if it failed/wore out or any internals needed replacing then VW would just go the route of replacing the whole unit.

For reference, P/N's for: Control Unit for Differential lock (0CQ 907 554E) and hydraulic pump (0CQ 525 549).
« Last Edit: 17 September 2016, 22:10 by fergie7 »

MkI Golf GTI 1.8 (1982)
MkVII Golf GTI PP (2013)

Offline fergie7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2016, 21:29 »
VAQ for 6 speed manual exploded drawing & parts.

MkI Golf GTI 1.8 (1982)
MkVII Golf GTI PP (2013)

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2016, 16:45 »
Thanks for the info Fergie7

I'm sure we will come back to this thread and add to it as the cars get older  :wink:

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2016, 18:52 »
Part number for the 6 speed manual would appear to be 02Q 409 055 and for the DSG 0D9 409 055.  This also tallies with other searches of the P/N which brings up references to the Cupra and several units for sale on fleabay etc.  Doesn't show any of the internals or part numbers so I'm guessing for now if it failed/wore out or any internals needed replacing then VW would just go the route of replacing the whole unit.

For reference, P/N's for: Control Unit for Differential lock (0CQ 907 554E) and hydraulic pump (0CQ 525 549).

Based on these part numbers, retail costs are:

Control Unit £178
Hydraulic Pmp £313

And the biggy, the diff is £987

There is a full parts breakdown so I would imagine a repair is possible. The question would be about viability given labour costs, it might be cheaper to change the whole diff unit?

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2016, 12:20 »
Just following up on this, I have just booked my car in with VW for it's 3 year service next month.

The lady booking the service, didn't know about the diff oil service, went off to check and found out it was outside the service pack remit, they suggested it was an additional £65, which I felt was reasonable.

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 22 September 2016, 14:00 »
That does sound reasonable..

I know labour rates differ in various parts of the country but your £65 quote is quite a difference to the £104 quoted on Fergie's individual car service print out for the same work.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 22 September 2016, 14:33 »
Agreed, I pointed out it was a fluid change on the Differential unit and I understood it was Haldex fluid.

The service lady came back after checking it was serviceable after 3 years with £65, I agreed rather than suggest that was way too cheap!

I'll report back once the car is serviced.