Author Topic: Mk2 Golf 3.2 VR6 Kamei Edition + GTI 8v Mini Resto  (Read 18678 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: Mk2 Golf 3.2 VR6 Kamei Edition + GTI 8v Mini Resto
« Reply #90 on: 29 October 2017, 21:09 »
More parts:

New fuel filter, dipstick housing, indicator (amber) and clear dual filament bulbs, vacuum line in red, some rubber to make gaskets for the front strut brace I have, brake seals, bleed nipples, front lines and disc retaining screws. Also got a new front down pipe:

Painted it then thought about fitting it. Removed the front driver's side driveshaft completely and tried to use the old downpipe with the heat shield still attached to work out if it'd work or not. It didn't fit, so I was planning to remove the steering rack to give even more room but decided to try the new down pipes as they didn't need as much room without a heat shield on. They fitted in nicely so quite pleased with only having to remove the drive shaft to get it fitted.

Sadly, went to fire the engine up and it cranks over just fine but will not fire up. Read enough posts on forums to suspect it's an ignition problem so next month I shall be replacing almost everything, that is:

Ignition module (on top of ECU)
Ignition coil
Ignition leads
Distributor cap and rotor arm
Ignition switch
Battery (got a Bosch S4 spare)

I'm not overly worried that it didn't fire, it didn't before I took the engine apart so I suspect that on the drive home from getting the car, some part of the ignition system said farewell and as I parked her up and left it to cool off it decided to leave and go to the special place. If it doesn't fire after replacing all those parts (and probably re-doing all the earth wires for good measure) then I'll be at a loss. It's not the sparks though, those are brand new Bosch super 4 jobs...

As usual, any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2017, 17:56 by th3_f15t »

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #91 on: 09 November 2017, 14:13 »
Got some more parts, because why not? I got a new distributor cap, rotor arm and ignition leads as I wanted to eliminate that as a reason for the engine not starting. When I removed the old cap, the centre pin fell off so at that point I suspected the cap was at fault.

Certainly looks like the head's been worked over now in my opinion. Bit of an interesting situation when I tried to fire it up though... Certainly turns over a lot better, seems to sound happier with the new parts but still refuses to fire. So here's the situation...

- All wiring is connected and good, checked every earth lead. The battery is fully charged.
- Fuel pump primes for a second or two at ignition, then stops. Fuel is pressured and in the fuel rail (tested). No fuel leaks.
- Tried two different ignition coils now, one from the Driver which I know was working fine and the one that came on the car (which actually looked newer)

The only things I can think of that are stopping things now are:

- Faulty ignition amplifier on top of the ECU
- Timing is way out
- Oil pump blocked

Reasons for the last two options mainly comes down to that I fear I've put the timing so far out it can't fire, but I have no idea what an engine with incorrect timing would sound like when trying to fire up..?

As for the oil pump, I remember driving my brother's Driver years ago when that had a loose oil pickup pipe to the pump and it would stall and die when coming to a stop. I'm wondering if mine is blocked with sludge like everything else was, and can't pump oil around and preventing the engine starting. After cranking it a fair few times, I noticed that there's no sign of fresh oil around the filler cap... I'm going to try heating the oil pan up with a blower heater to get the oil well up in temperature and try again, see if that helps. Thinking if I thin the oil by warming it, it'll also loosen any build up in the pump (if that's the cause of my problems).

Any other suggestions would be most welcome right now.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #92 on: 10 November 2017, 14:40 »
Also going to replace the ignition coil with a brand new one and also replace the relay for the fuel pump in the fuse board (currently has an 80 relay in position 12). This should then hopefully be all the common hardware issues sorted.

Also tested spark today, getting a good, bright spark, but looking inside the combustion chamber I can see fluid (fuel) in there? Suggesting that it's flooded or not igniting properly (again, timing out?).

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #93 on: 11 November 2017, 17:55 »
Decided to put everything back together now, ready for the new parts that are on order. Fitted the Pipercross filter and air box back:

Also forgot I bought some screws and holders for the front grill, sadly the screws are too big so will need to find smaller ones. But all in the details:

All back together bar some small bits:

Did replace the vacuum lines with red silicon ones but can barely see them now, I still need to work out exactly how to plumb all the vacuum lines up so the cold start feature in the air box works as well, just for the sake of sticking close to originality. Currently have a T-piece connecting the front left vacuum port on the throttle body to the fuel regulator and off to a line into the clocks. The other front and rear vacuum port on the throttle body are currently blocked off as these are for a carbon canister which I don't have (I believe, anyway). There is a third fuel line running to something that sits under the air box, there once was a jubilee clipped line coming off it but no idea what it's for..?

Ordered a new ignition coil, fuel pump relay, coolant flanges for the head and new temperature sensor (black one), will get a blue one soon too and double sort the wiring to the connector which looks a bit frayed and exposed. Hoping that next weekend with all the new parts added that it finally fires up and runs so I can begin tuning it up ready for an MOT.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #94 on: 18 November 2017, 18:36 »
All the new bits fitted but still doesn't fire so checked the timing. Way out... Whoops! Will correct it properly tomorrow in daylight and then hopefully we'll have a running engine. To be honest, part of a restoration is replacing most bits anyway so a whole ignition system that's been worked over is never a bad thing. Should nip the usual problem areas in the bud for the next decade or so.

The next problem after this is the brake lines where the flexi lines join them, they're corroded and rounded so there's no way to get the lines off. I'm going to replace all the brake lines anyway as the previous MOT says they're all showing corrosion and you can buy the pre-bent lines as a kit (apart from the ones that connect front to rear but got line to make those myself) and will chuck on a new master cylinder, probably a 16v (22.2mm) one just because I can.

Only taken me nearly a decade to take a cylinder head off and put it back on and have a running engine... Progress is progress, right?

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #95 on: 25 November 2017, 17:24 »
Reset the timing but still didn't fire. Looked down into the cylinders with the spark plugs out and noticed a strong petrol smell and cylinders 2 and 3 are wet looking inside, so left the plugs out so they can air out and will try again tomorrow.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #96 on: Today at 19:30 »
Decided to get all new belts as well as a timing belt cover as the original one was damaged and looked rough. Also had to get a new camshaft pulley main bolt as the original one came out so I could inspect everything properly.

Fitted the new timing belt as well as a new tensioner:

Cleaned up the crank timing gear and fitted with the new bolt:

Also been making an effort to replace as many nuts and bolts with new, stainless steel items in order to make life much easier in the future when this all comes back off again:

All new timing belt covers which include the inner part at the top that sits over the cylinder head and has the O.T. mark for the camshaft on it:

Waiting on some new M8 bolts to arrive so I can refit the lower pulleys as a few of the ones I removed rounded off slightly and are rusty beyond worth saving. Also going to need a new alternator adjustment bolt:

Also wire brushed and sanded the main crank and PAS pump pulley:

Gave them a spray with Hammerite direct to rust spray just to tidy them up a little bit, will aim to do the water pump at a later date, probably if I replace it. I’m hoping the new bolts arrive Monday so I can fit the new auxiliary belts and try getting the engine running, finally. Been several posts since I first said “tomorrow I’ll fire it up” so I’m giving up making promises to myself at this stage, just being careful and checking over everything twice to ensure I’ve not missed something small but important.

After getting the engine up and running, next jobs to focus on will be the front anti roll bar, braking system overhaul and rear wheel bearing replacement as well as getting tyres for the alloys I want to put on her instead of the snowflakes. Then time for an MOT. Oh, after I finish rebuilding the interior… 2019, watch this space.