Author Topic: Perished grommet on tailgate  (Read 24193 times)

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Perished grommet on tailgate
« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2018, 09:30 »
I think it is because the pipe is too short and puts extra stress on the very thin grommet. The tube is not the best quality either so I upgrades both as I said. There is no movement in mine now and I added a grommet just to protect the end of the pipe.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2018, 14:55 »
Thanks again for that. I think I'll replace oem to start with so at least when I dismantle the tailgate I know it will be fixed on that go but will use the broken part to source an upgrade for the future. Cheers :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2018, 19:40 »
I think the rubber pipe perishes rather than breaks.
It seemed to crumble for me.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2018, 10:40 »
It is a plastic pipe and a cheap rubber grommet that is too small to do the job. It is not if it fails it is when. I will try to find the old one and post a picture of it later.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2018, 18:41 »
I had the same grommit perish and drop out of the hole on the underneath edge of the tailgate.  I took my car in to the dealer and they replaced it no questions asked.  Apparently its common for the grommit to drop out of the hole.

The first time I notice it was missing was when i had washed my car and noticed water trickling down the side of the tailgate from the seam of the plastic inside cover when the tailgate was open.  I now have the new one fitted and no problems with water trickles inside the boot since.  I can confirm also the grommit is to hold the drainage tube in place.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2018, 17:27 »
As promised.....

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 25 May 2018, 12:23 »
Thanks again for all your good advice Finglonga. I went for the simple option in the end and my dealer is going to replace it under warranty. I realise at some point it'll need doing again but it'll be a few years off yet. I might have a flying car by then :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 25 May 2018, 15:13 »
Sod's law meant mine went out of warranty, glad you got it sorted.

Offline jackstffrd

• Just got here
« Reply #38 on: 21 October 2019, 13:57 »
I'm hoping someone can help..I have found that my car is missing the drain tube and I am collecting one from my local garage tomorrow.

However the roof of my car at back is damp. Does anyone have any clue why it would be leaking at the top of my boot?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 21 October 2019, 14:15 »
I'm hoping someone can help..I have found that my car is missing the drain tube and I am collecting one from my local garage tomorrow.

However the roof of my car at back is damp. Does anyone have any clue why it would be leaking at the top of my boot?

Do you mean the headlining or the top of the tailgate? If it is the headlining could it be the seal for the satnav aerial is leaking? The other option which has been reported before is the tailgate hinges where they fit on the car can leak.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.