Author Topic: Perished grommet on tailgate  (Read 24195 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Perished grommet on tailgate
« on: 24 February 2016, 12:06 »
There was a grommet where you can see the hole but for some reason its perished. I tried to pull the other part of the grommet out that's still inside but it feels like its attached to something.
I'm presuming its attached to some drainage pipe but not sure.

Anyone know for sure or had their trim off?
I take it the grommet had been rubbing on the rubber liner around the boot hence why its perished.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Perished grommet on tailgate
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2016, 14:40 »
At an educated guess I'd say that was the drain hole for the badge/boot release/rear camera.
That will be what the tubing leads to Steve.
You'll be able to access it all by taking the tailgate interior trim off.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2016, 15:29 »
At an educated guess I'd say that was the drain hole for the badge/boot release/rear camera.
That will be what the tubing leads to Steve.
You'll be able to access it all by taking the tailgate interior trim off.

Cheers yeah that sounds right.
Its going in for other warranty work so I'll mention it to them but I think they'll tell me its not covered.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2016, 16:38 »
They *should* entertain it as a warranty job I'd think, and it's not exactly as if your car looks uncared for.
However it's only going to be a few quid to fix it and an easy DIY job if they aren't open to a claim.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2016, 19:02 »
They *should* entertain it as a warranty job I'd think, and it's not exactly as if your car looks uncared for.
However it's only going to be a few quid to fix it and an easy DIY job if they aren't open to a claim.

LoL I don't think dismantling that tailgate trim will be easy. That looks a nightmare of a job

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2016, 16:36 »
I've not seen my car in daylight all week so will have a look at the weekend.
If the car is going for part ex soon personally I'd not be overly bothered about fixing it - the water will still drain out ok.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2016, 19:26 »
Just had a look at mine and it seems to be up to the standard of the rest of the car, so strange for it to fail. Not as though it does a tough job! Just to be fair to whoever ends up buying the car, I'd tell the dealer when you take it in to get your new one.  :whistle:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2016, 22:56 »
Andy its my wifes Audi A1 that we are trying to sell. I'm going to keep the GTD for another 18 months  :wink:

@Talk-Torque yeah I'll mention it to them. I think the grommet has been catching on the tailgate rubber and hence why its perished. Its going into the dealer on Monday as water seems to be getting in the boot somehow. I'm now wondering if the tailgate is misaligned, which has caused the grommet to perish and also allow water in.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2016, 05:22 »
Ahhh yes! Id overlooked it was the A1 going. D'oh!
Fingers crossed the dealer will be able to sort it at zero cost.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2016, 18:01 »
This made me look at mine today and mine is also perished  to the point of dropping off. In the dealers for service soon so will  highlight i. 
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S