Author Topic: GAP Insurance - Which company?  (Read 11438 times)

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
Re: GAP Insurance - Which company?
« Reply #30 on: 29 March 2017, 22:42 »
Sorry, realise this is an old thread but thought best to add to it rather than starting a new one.

Unsure of what price to add? The list price of my R (once I sign on the dotted line on Friday) is £32,340 (looking at the VW RRP price) however, I'm getting it pre-registered for £25,000. So, which do I enter? I would have though the RRP but looking at another GAP Insurance site it states to enter the price you paid.  :huh:

It depends who you take out GAP cover with as different companies adopt different approaches to pre-registered cars. Two of the more well known GAP insurers' approach to pre-registered cars below;

From ALA's FAQ's on their website;

I'm looking at a Vehicle Replacement Plus quote. What figure do I use as my purchase price?
This should be the price of your vehicle before deducting any discounts you have received from the dealer or manufacturer. These are sometimes VAT free offers or shown on your invoice as a deposit contribution. For new vehicles you can use the list price and include any factory or dealer fitted extras.

If the vehicle is pre-registered you would use the net price for the vehicle rather than the list price. If you have had any extra discounts these can be added back on.

If you would like any assistance with a quote please contact our team on 01653 916304.

gap insurance 123
The approach to pre-registered cars taken by gapinsurance 123 is at the link below. From a claims settlement perspective, they treat them as a new car, but it's not clear from the information at the link below what value you should use; new car list price or price paid. Simplest way to find out would be to phone and ask them.

https://m.gapinsurance123.co.uk/518/gap-insurance-and-pre-registered-cars/

Thanks for this. I'll give them a call in the morning as I was looking at ALA. obviously if I've put £25k and it's a write off the it'd cost more than that to replace with a new model so want to make sure I'm covered.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #31 on: 30 March 2017, 19:57 »
I got in touch with ALA but still not entirely sure. I gave them an example of my pre-registered car is £25k but a new one is £32k and the insurance company only gave me £20k what would happen. Their answer:

Looking at your example below, we would settle the difference between the £20,000 back up to the replacement cost of an equivalent vehicle. Assuming that replacement cost is £25,000, our policy would settle £5000 in total.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #32 on: 30 March 2017, 19:58 »
I got in touch with ALA but still not entirely sure. I gave them an example of my pre-registered car is £25k but a new one is £32k and the insurance company only gave me £20k what would happen. Their answer:

Looking at your example below, we would settle the difference between the £20,000 back up to the replacement cost of an equivalent vehicle. Assuming that replacement cost is £25,000, our policy would settle £5000 in total.

It would be hard to find a pre-registered replacement car for the same value that I paid originally?!

Online SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 30 March 2017, 20:34 »
Greencode, doesn't the approach to pre-reg vehicles by gapinsurance 123 give you what you want? Extract from the information at the link I posted yesterday is below.

I'm assuming that as their approach is probably different (and better from the customer's perspective) to most GAP insurers for pre-reg vehicles, their basis of claims settlement for Vehicle Replacement Insurance cover would be outlined in their policy documentation. Therefore if the worst was to happen, you'd have it in print that they'd pay the difference between your motor insurer's claim settlement (market value at time of loss) and the cost of replacement with a new vehicle.

This suggests that you might need to state the value as list price of the car before discounts as that's what their claim settlement would be based on, and not the price you paid, but only gapinsurance 123 can confirm this.

Gapinsurance 123 do make the proviso that the car was originally registered in the dealers name, and you are now shown on the V5 as the (2nd) registered keeper and I understand this is the case in your situation.

Extract from gapinsirance 123 website;
How would Gap Insurance at GapInsurance123 treat the vehicle if it were pre-registered?

The specific type of cover which is most affected by this could be Vehicle Replacement Insurance cover. This type of gap would protect the difference between the vehicle's market value, when it is written off, and the cost of replacing the vehicle with one equivalent to the vehicle you bought the policy for. With regards to pre-registered vehicles, this can cause a slight issue, how can you value a vehicle that is say 3 months old with one previous owner on the V5 logbook?

Well with a GapInsurance123 policy we try to make life a bit more straightforward. If the vehicle is less than 90 days old, with the supplying dealer as the previous owner, we will treat the vehicle as a brand new vehicle for the purpose of Vehicle Replacement Insurance*.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #34 on: 30 March 2017, 20:48 »
Well with a GapInsurance123 policy we try to make life a bit more straightforward. If the vehicle is less than 90 days old, with the supplying dealer as the previous owner, we will treat the vehicle as a brand new vehicle for the purpose of Vehicle Replacement Insurance*.

Ah ha, thanks for this section. That answers my questions perfectly and I think I should go with 123 and not ALA due to this very fact. Thanks for your help with this. Really appreciated.

Online SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 30 March 2017, 21:32 »

Ah ha, thanks for this section. That answers my questions perfectly and I think I should go with 123 and not ALA due to this very fact. Thanks for your help with this. Really appreciated.

No problem. Enjoy your new R!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #36 on: 30 March 2017, 21:33 »
No problem. Enjoy your new R!

Thanks. Pick it up tomorrow  :smiley:

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #37 on: 02 April 2017, 20:12 »
I decided to go with gapinsurance123 on a £20k vehicle replacement policy. The cost was £149 for 3 years.