Author Topic: Thoughts on the R  (Read 152297 times)

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
Re: Thoughts on the R
« Reply #20 on: 10 October 2015, 10:26 »
JB how are you finding the Lapiz blue compared to carbon grey for showing up dirt, dust and marks?

It's a colour I would be very tempted to get if I get an R, but waiting to see more on the clubsport.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 10 October 2015, 11:47 »
Averaging 30+ mpg is a pipe dream, for me at least! I've had my R about 7 weeks and I'm averaging 26mpg. I'd have been getting 33-34 with similar driving in my GTI. I think it will settle down a bit though after a while, hopefully creep closer to 28-29.

And me.  I know my limitations and I know my heavy right foot. :whistle:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2015, 11:50 »
Rebecca, I'll be traveling down to Canterbury on Sunday so keep your eyes out for a lapis blue on prets :)

I certainly will Remlapeel.  It would be nice to give a wave to a forum member.  See 3 or 4 R's around now, but seemingly owners not on any of the forums.

And keep your eye out for someone manically decontaminating a black R on a driveway on Sunday. :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2015, 12:10 »
On the topic of MPG, I was a little concerned for the first 1000miles or so because I was averaging 26ish. Now it's 28-32 and I have a very heavy foot, drive in race constantly and use the paddles all the time
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2015, 12:20 »
Anyone thinking of taking the jump from GTi to R.. "DO IT!" You won't have any regrets..

If you shop around there's still some fantastic offers to be had. The repayments on my new R actually work out £100 cheaper than my old GTi so it was a no brainer for me swapping.
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2015, 14:27 »
JB how are you finding the Lapiz blue compared to carbon grey for showing up dirt, dust and marks?

It's a colour I would be very tempted to get if I get an R, but waiting to see more on the clubsport.

Lapiz Blue hides the dust and dirt better day to day than the Carbon Grey did. To be fair though I changed my washing habits with Lapiz as I had a feeling it would be even less forgiving than Carbon Grey and I think it would have been if I had carried on using the cotton "Shaggy Dog" wash pad I was using on the GTI in so much that it would leave more noticeable swirls on the Blue paintwork which with the best will in the world you will always get using a car day to day. I only wash by hand as I haven't got the bottle to attack it with a DA machine polisher.
Now using the two bucket method and a Wo Wo Lambswool wash mitt (highly recommended) and Microfibre drying towel and taking my time got to say, so far so good With minimal marks
Lapiz Blue is a stunning colour and it was a no brainer for me when I ordered mine. It's a shame Carbon Grey was not available on the R as I think it would really suit it too  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 10 October 2015, 14:30 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #26 on: 10 October 2015, 16:29 »
get some pics up booth!!
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline Gorocco

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 10 October 2015, 17:01 »
Anyone thinking of taking the jump from GTi to R.. "DO IT!" You won't have any regrets..

If you shop around there's still some fantastic offers to be had. The repayments on my new R actually work out £100 cheaper than my old GTi so it was a no brainer for me swapping.

It'll probably cost me £40/50 a month more on fuel so I'd be looking for cheaper repayments but hopefully VW will be desperate to upgrade me. Suspect a new model Scirocco is a few years off so for me it's either the R or maybe an incentive for another GTi. Plenty of positive talk from you 'upgraders' so thanks for that.
PP, tints, Chassis Control.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 10 October 2015, 17:26 »
get some pics up booth!!

Lots of pics in other threads on here Chris, and I'm sure there will be plenty of 'post initial clean' photos after the weekend.
Get yer shades out ready 'cos it'll be SHINY!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2015, 20:02 »

Lapiz Blue hides the dust and dirt better day to day than the Carbon Grey did. To be fair though I changed my washing habits with Lapiz as I had a feeling it would be even less forgiving than Carbon Grey and I think it would have been if I had carried on using the cotton "Shaggy Dog" wash pad I was using on the GTI in so much that it would leave more noticeable swirls on the Blue paintwork which with the best will in the world you will always get using a car day to day. I only wash by hand as I haven't got the bottle to attack it with a DA machine polisher.
Now using the two bucket method and a Wo Wo Lambswool wash mitt (highly recommended) and Microfibre drying towel and taking my time got to say, so far so good With minimal marks
Lapiz Blue is a stunning colour and it was a no brainer for me when I ordered mine. It's a shame Carbon Grey was not available on the R as I think it would really suit it too  :smiley:

Thanks JB, great pics and really like the Pretoria alloys as they really suit the R.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger