Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529640 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1190 on: 26 June 2017, 09:44 »
Wow!  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!  That tailpipe.  :cool:

They don't look like normal mineral deposits to me, though that is where the water would pool  Try a bit of white vinegar on them and see if they budge.  Also try claying them. 

Great pics.

Thanks for your reply Rebecca.

I won't get round to washing it for another couple of weeks so I'll try your suggestions. Failing that I'll inspect all four alloys and possibly send it into the stealers to request replacements.

The only thing that has touched them is tap water, snow foam, tardis and fallout remover. The latter two were rinsed thoroughly away and were not left to dry, even so I shouldn't imagine that they would leave such a mark that almost resembles scratches.

I'd get it to the dealer asap, the longer you leave it the more chance of them saying 'it wasn't like that when you picked it up'

I tried white vinegar soaked cotton wool pads and then a small bit a clay. Both efforts didn't touch the marks. I did notice that they aren't that visible when not in direct sunlight and I have had a long think about what to do next.

I have decided that I can't be bothered to do anything about them and I'll just live with them along with my drivers side floor crunch, passenger door bass vibrations (fixed with furry velcro tape between the door and door card) and the rear seat shuffling (fixed with a microfibre wedged inside the armrest). I just can't be bothered with the hassle of sending in into the dealers when I know that any normal person wouldn't have noticed any of these issues at all.

I got my first stone chip last week so I have bigger fish to fry at the moment!

Shame they haven't cleaned off, must be marks in the paint, which tbh, they do look like, must have got knocked.  :sad:

Also annoying about all your other issues and the first stone chip, I've stopped counting my stone chips.  Get completely your reluctance to go to the dealer. I'd but the same, rather live with a few niggles than have the dealer mess about with the car, and maybe end up worse than it went in, plus all the hassle. Shouldn't be that way but is often.  Can you touch the marks in with a touch up paint and a smidge of lacquer?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #1191 on: 26 June 2017, 17:49 »
Wow!  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!  That tailpipe.  :cool:

They don't look like normal mineral deposits to me, though that is where the water would pool  Try a bit of white vinegar on them and see if they budge.  Also try claying them. 

Great pics.

Thanks for your reply Rebecca.

I won't get round to washing it for another couple of weeks so I'll try your suggestions. Failing that I'll inspect all four alloys and possibly send it into the stealers to request replacements.

The only thing that has touched them is tap water, snow foam, tardis and fallout remover. The latter two were rinsed thoroughly away and were not left to dry, even so I shouldn't imagine that they would leave such a mark that almost resembles scratches.

I'd get it to the dealer asap, the longer you leave it the more chance of them saying 'it wasn't like that when you picked it up'

I tried white vinegar soaked cotton wool pads and then a small bit a clay. Both efforts didn't touch the marks. I did notice that they aren't that visible when not in direct sunlight and I have had a long think about what to do next.

I have decided that I can't be bothered to do anything about them and I'll just live with them along with my drivers side floor crunch, passenger door bass vibrations (fixed with furry velcro tape between the door and door card) and the rear seat shuffling (fixed with a microfibre wedged inside the armrest). I just can't be bothered with the hassle of sending in into the dealers when I know that any normal person wouldn't have noticed any of these issues at all.

I got my first stone chip last week so I have bigger fish to fry at the moment!

Shame they haven't cleaned off, must be marks in the paint, which tbh, they do look like, must have got knocked.  :sad:

Also annoying about all your other issues and the first stone chip, I've stopped counting my stone chips.  Get completely your reluctance to go to the dealer. I'd but the same, rather live with a few niggles than have the dealer mess about with the car, and maybe end up worse than it went in, plus all the hassle. Shouldn't be that way but is often.  Can you touch the marks in with a touch up paint and a smidge of lacquer?

If it was important such as anything mechanical related then it will be going in to see the dealer but I time is very precious for me due to my job and I can't afford to write of a Saturday sitting about the dealership and only have one full day in the week to see the Mrs.

I have two pots of touch up paint on order already :grin: One Pure White and one Gloss Black for the alloys, I'll see how I get on.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1192 on: 28 June 2017, 14:57 »
At last! Just in case anyone thought I was all mouth and no wallet, these beauties have arrived :smiley:

Unfortunately so has the rain :angry: but I'm off Friday and if the rain behaves I'll give them a trial run :smiley: I bought the autobrite lance, any suggestions as to what settings to use or suck it and see? Also, anything I need to know about maintenance/cleaning of both products, run them through with just water after use or similar?

Thanks!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1193 on: 28 June 2017, 15:59 »
At last! Just in case anyone thought I was all mouth and no wallet, these beauties have arrived :smiley:

Unfortunately so has the rain :angry: but I'm off Friday and if the rain behaves I'll give them a trial run :smiley: I bought the autobrite lance, any suggestions as to what settings to use or suck it and see? Also, anything I need to know about maintenance/cleaning of both products, run them through with just water after use or similar?

Thanks!

The detailing world is a better place today.   :smiley:

After each use, flush through your lance whilst still hooked up to the jet washer until water runs well clear, this will clear out soap residue and minimise clogging.

If you ever need to service your lance, at some point in the distant future, here is a guide.  http://www.detailingnation.com/M-Files/Foam-Lance-Service-Manual.pdf

Enjoy!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1194 on: 28 June 2017, 16:50 »
Excellent, thanks! If my pennies hold out a DA could be on it's way soon once I've recovered from this round of spending....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1195 on: 28 June 2017, 17:29 »
It must seem like Christmas has come early Watts :grin:. I also flush my lance through until the water runs clear after I've used it. 

There'll be no holding back if you get a DA. I hope you've got a big enough man shed to keep all those new detailing supplies in that you'll be buying :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1196 on: 28 June 2017, 17:47 »
It must seem like Christmas has come early Watts :grin:. I also flush my lance through until the water runs clear after I've used it. 

There'll be no holding back if you get a DA. I hope you've got a big enough man shed to keep all those new detailing supplies in that you'll be buying :smiley:.

Sort of but traditionally I don't pay for my own :laugh: Unfortunately for my OH though, accidentally my new toys were ordered on our joint credit card :whistle: My man shed though is more of a man box, 4x4! But it's no problem as I threw out all the DIY stuff last year....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1197 on: 03 July 2017, 08:24 »
After a close encounter with a holly hedge, I needed to DA the side of my recently detailed truck. I met a farmer in his double cab down a narrow lane, despite him virtually driving into the hedge on his side, there was hardly any room for me to get past. Ordinarily I would have reversed for as long as it took, but with two other cars behind me, this wasn't an option.

Anyway, on the bright side, it gave me the opportunity to try out my new pot of Auto Finesse Illusion wax. I'd post some pics, but with Photobucket playing up at the moment, they'll have to wait.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1198 on: 03 July 2017, 13:49 »
After a close encounter with a holly hedge, I needed to DA the side of my recently detailed truck. I met a farmer in his double cab down a narrow lane, despite him virtually driving into the hedge on his side, there was hardly any room for me to get past. Ordinarily I would have reversed for as long as it took, but with two other cars behind me, this wasn't an option.

Anyway, on the bright side, it gave me the opportunity to try out my new pot of Auto Finesse Illusion wax. I'd post some pics, but with Photobucket playing up at the moment, they'll have to wait.

I've quit photobucket and gone with Flickr. Bit of a fiddly site to use for a numpty like me but I think I'm getting there. Definitely not paying to use photobucket especially considering how unreliable their site has been...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1199 on: 04 July 2017, 15:48 »
Finally got to try out my lovely new pressure washer and lance. The car wasn't too bad actually, despite having been oop north and back plus some cross country and commuting for a week. After a rinse and a snowfoam (must remember to cut back on quantities next time, I didn't think it'd ever run out :rolleyes:) it looked pretty clean but there were more squashed bugs on the front than I'd realised so they took some time to clear. Once washed and dried, I gave it a good spray of Iron X then I gave another toy a go, my Wo-Wo clay mitt. Don't think I spent enough time at it but even so the results were good with some areas that have clearly needed doing feeling a lot smoother so pleased with that. No polish as I still don't have a DA but I did get a coat of my Finish Kare FK1000p wax on. One thing I did note about using a pressure washer was how quickly all the various cables and hoses got knotted!

Flickr - should be re-named a pita :angry: What a fiddly annoying process to host images, that fourth one I just couldn't get it to show in the correct rotation, I even tried rotating it on Flickr first then posting it and it still came out wrong. Bloody buggery arse biscuits. If anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong I'd be grateful. Otherwise I may give up on posting images, it's such a faff.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.