Author Topic: MK7 GTD - Real Life MPG  (Read 247760 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: MK7 GTD - Real Life MPG
« Reply #1100 on: 30 September 2016, 19:16 »
Was thinking that myself - must have been caning it at around 90mph or had a horrendous journey to get that sort of figure as an average ?

If you look a couple of posts above your, I did a similar journey last weekend (from Cheshire to Essex), in my 19" Santiago and DSG equipped GTD (with 4 adults up and luggage) and averaged 55mpg when the cruise was set at 70mph - methinks you have been enjoying yourself  :grin:

There was quite a few 50mph zones, in these I set my ACC to 55mph (which in reality is about 51/52?) I find I still get cars flying past me in these average speed zones - how do they get away with it?

But yes I like to enjoy the GTD  :roll eyes: Really actually must try sometime to get a good mpg, I just get baited too many times by the likes of 118d's.. still think the TR attracts too much unwanted attention.

Glad you're enjoying it - I thought you might've been one of the poor unfortunates that can't crack 50mpg driving like a nun. Is yours boxed/chipped to be able to spank an ST? Mine with a DTUK box comfortably outdid older (225ps) STs, and on par with the newer (250ps) ones mid-range.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1101 on: 30 September 2016, 19:50 »
Was thinking that myself - must have been caning it at around 90mph or had a horrendous journey to get that sort of figure as an average ?

If you look a couple of posts above your, I did a similar journey last weekend (from Cheshire to Essex), in my 19" Santiago and DSG equipped GTD (with 4 adults up and luggage) and averaged 55mpg when the cruise was set at 70mph - methinks you have been enjoying yourself  :grin:

There was quite a few 50mph zones, in these I set my ACC to 55mph (which in reality is about 51/52?) I find I still get cars flying past me in these average speed zones - how do they get away with it?

But yes I like to enjoy the GTD  :roll eyes: Really actually must try sometime to get a good mpg, I just get baited too many times by the likes of 118d's.. still think the TR attracts too much unwanted attention.

Glad you're enjoying it - I thought you might've been one of the poor unfortunates that can't crack 50mpg driving like a nun. Is yours boxed/chipped to be able to spank an ST? Mine with a DTUK box comfortably outdid older (225ps) STs, and on par with the newer (250ps) ones mid-range.

No its standard, but will put a DTUK on it soon. The guy in the ST looked shocked as we were both more or less on par from a standstill then I pulled passed him at a certain speed.. he slowed down and backed off after that. But like any car, he might of not been driving it to its full potential.

Offline djwoody

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1102 on: 30 September 2016, 20:35 »
Can anyone tell me how optimistic the MFD is when using the DTUK box?
I read it somewhere in this thread but can't find it now!
« Last Edit: 01 October 2016, 07:41 by djwoody »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1103 on: 01 October 2016, 08:54 »

Depends on the setting, but on old box 4+1 and new box 2+1 setting, mine was about 6% over optimistic vs stock 2% optimistic. The massively over-fuelling TDI-Tuning box I started with was about 13% optimistic.

Offline djwoody

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1104 on: 01 October 2016, 09:57 »

Depends on the setting, but on old box 4+1 and new box 2+1 setting, mine was about 6% over optimistic vs stock 2% optimistic. The massively over-fuelling TDI-Tuning box I started with was about 13% optimistic.

Thanks for that. I have mine set at 2+1 at the moment and am very impressed. Was this your favourite setting?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1105 on: 01 October 2016, 15:55 »

Thanks for that. I have mine set at 2+1 at the moment and am very impressed. Was this your favourite setting?

On the new box (there was an old box that I had bought as an early adopter and Andrew at DTUK let me trial a new one when he was tweaking the developed settings) 2+1 was my favourite setting - the most smooth power delivery with no overfuelling. My Dad inherited my box for his GTD when I got my R and is still happy with it on 2+1.

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #1106 on: 18 October 2016, 21:52 »
Nice steady run today on the way back from Inverness to Aberdeen (just over 100 miles)...speed hindered by the number of lorries and buses on road which is mostly non-dualled, but the traffic was flowing well

MPG was reading 67/68 before getting stuck in queuing traffic near the city brought it back down a bit to this figure

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline djwoody

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1107 on: 19 October 2016, 18:41 »
Nice steady run today on the way back from Inverness to Aberdeen (just over 100 miles)...speed hindered by the number of lorries and buses on road which is mostly non-dualled, but the traffic was flowing well

MPG was reading 67/68 before getting stuck in queuing traffic near the city brought it back down a bit to this figure

Hi phope. Good figures.
Is your GTD standard and a manual?

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #1108 on: 19 October 2016, 19:34 »
Manual  :smiley:
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special