Author Topic: MK7 GTD - Real Life MPG  (Read 248031 times)

Offline mike_f

• Not said much yet
MK7 GTD - Real Life MPG
« on: 02 August 2013, 14:35 »
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum - don't have my GTD yet but told start of Oct (initially it was mid July!!)

Had the same hassle with the dealer most of you seem to have had. Not impressed but decided to ride it out.

Anyway - now that some GTDs are actually being delivered I was wondering what the real life MPG figures on it are like.

I decided on the GTD to get rid of my S3 which is terrible on the fuel and with VW boasting some very impressive figures for the GTD I thought it would be a serious machine.

However, reading a bit online about the new Mk7 diesels in general they appear to be returning nothing like the claim stated by VW and causing me a bit of concern.

I understand you will never get what the book says but just wondering what people are getting cruising the motorways at 75mph with cruise on.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: MK7 GTD - Real Life MPG
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2013, 14:45 »

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2013, 14:58 »
I understand you will never get what the book says but just wondering what people are getting cruising the motorways at 75mph with cruise on.

Was the adaptive cruise on not one of the reasons why people think it has failed to reach its desired MPG? i.e. cars coming in on front of the Golf so making that having to alter its speed quite a lot? Just a thought!

Also I've found I can achieve a lot more MPG with cruise off simply by reading the road ahead. Things like going downhill I can feel the car slowing itself down to keep to the desired speed.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mike_f

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2013, 15:03 »
Yeah - I agree regarding cruise but I regularly do a stretch of road that I can sit at 70mph on and not have to slow down for much. Hopefully the adaptive part of the cruise can be turned off and just used at constant speed.

If I can get 50mpg on the motorway out the GTD I'd be satisfied, 60mpg I'd be over the moon - anything less than that I'll be pretty annoyed..

Will be interesting to see.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2013, 15:41 »
Yeah - I agree regarding cruise but I regularly do a stretch of road that I can sit at 70mph on and not have to slow down for much. Hopefully the adaptive part of the cruise can be turned off and just used at constant speed.

If I can get 50mpg on the motorway out the GTD I'd be satisfied, 60mpg I'd be over the moon - anything less than that I'll be pretty annoyed..

I got 50mpg on a GTD DSG (extended test drive of demo) doing a 62 mile round trip with about 12 miles around the doors and 50 miles of it sitting at 80mph on dual carriageway. The car had less than 900 miles on the clock (so some running in gains yet to be realised) and the DSG will hit you for 10% on your mpg vs manual so expect at least 55mpg with the manual. I had ADC switched off and no aircon on that trip, ambient temp about 20C. About 8 times on the trip cars overtaking lorries slowed progress down to 60mph, but as soon as they were out of the way I buried the accelerator until I hit 80mph again and stayed there. I think it will meet your expectations. I didn't have cruise on - not sure how much fuel penalty you will incur for that - maybe a fair bit if you try to drive closer to the car in front than ADC would like and it is braking for you regularly.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2013, 15:43 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2013, 15:45 »
DSG will hit you for 10% on your mpg vs manual

Official figures say 6% difference.

Offline RedHP

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2013, 16:44 »

Mate, I opted for C/C on my Mk GiT but wished I hadn't. For me, C/C is not fuel-efficient..........and I have tested this many times over the past 3 years. I get better efficiency in manual mode, so in my opinion disregard any brochure details for fuel under C/C etc !
Hope this helps

Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2013, 17:35 »
DSG will hit you for 10% on your mpg vs manual

Official figures say 6% difference.

Depends how many doors: GTD 60.1mpg vs 67.3mpg (5 door comparison) DSG does 90.5% of manual (combined), 3 door comparison is a bit closer (93.3%) because 5 door manual does not appear to have the fuel penalty vs 3 door that DSG has.  :huh:

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2013, 17:36 »
I guess I'm talking GTI figures in a GTD thread again.  My bad.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2013, 17:39 »
I guess I'm talking GTI figures in a GTD thread again.  My bad.

GTI figs (3 or 5 door) come in almost the same as 3 door GTD comparison - 93.6%.

Why is the 5 door DSG GTD such an anomaly? Weight of 5 doors (30kg) and DSG (17kg) combined take it over some threshold that requires it to be geared lower to maintain same performance as 3 door?  :huh: