Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 627246 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2890 on: 07 May 2017, 17:53 »
Detailed the car.
Started with a power wash/snow foam
Then used iron X
Then a de-tar
Then clayed
Washed again
Used Werkstatt Prime
Applied 3 coats of sealant
Waxed the wheels

Then realised I missed the exhaust trims which are filthy.

Started at 9:30,finished 4:30

That's a pretty serious detailing session Mark. Will be sorting mine out tomorrow; just a maintenance wash though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #2891 on: 07 May 2017, 18:04 »
Must admit I only do that once a year, I wanted to do it over the EasterBankhol weekend but poor health put a stop to it.

How's the Polo?
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2892 on: 07 May 2017, 18:16 »
Still have yet to sort out my crazed rear light though  :whistle:

Perhaps you should upgrade to some .: ones. They look spot on with TR.  :wink:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2893 on: 07 May 2017, 19:45 »
Must admit I only do that once a year, I wanted to do it over the EasterBankhol weekend but poor health put a stop to it.

How's the Polo?

I normally spend my major detailing efforts over a two day period. I try to do mine twice a year; spring time and autumn.

Still really enjoying the Polo GTI; fun to drive and puts a smile on my face. Here it is after it's spring detail a couple of months ago;

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g325/SRGTD2011/Mobile%20Uploads/58002BFB-63F9-437F-A480-0D13C9FDE0F3.jpg
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2894 on: 23 May 2017, 11:59 »
Just found out after all these years, and the fact that I don't even have the car anymore, that it has voice control.

I was sat fiddling with the RNS510 in my Amarok when I pressed the star button and discovered that had it, so called my cousin (who bought the Golf) and got him to try. Low and behold it was there all along.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2895 on: 21 July 2017, 23:05 »
Changed the oil on my car today. It's first oil change since passing 100,000 miles last weekend. Decided to switch over to Millers Nanodrive 5w-40. There's a lot of recommendation for this oil out there so thought why not give it a go!

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2896 on: 22 July 2017, 07:56 »
Nice one Seabrook, if only you were closer you could do mine too.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2897 on: 29 July 2017, 21:47 »
Long day working on the car today. For a while now I've known that my car had picked up the common intake manifold problem, which brings up the fault code: P2015-Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal. I also had the check engine light come on recently in relation to this and so decided to press on with replacing the intake manifold as soon as possible. If you want any more info about this fault I highly recommend checking out this video: https://youtu.be/yvfVUkuPY0k. VW have brought out an updated version of the intake manifold which is part no. 06J-133-201-BH and hopefully addresses most of these issues, and this is the part that I fitted. I decided while I had the manifold off and seeing as my car has just passed 100,000 miles that it would benefit from a cleaning of the intake valves too.

So this is how we started. I have already removed the engine cover, airbag and oil filter for access. I followed this particular video as a guide: https://youtu.be/c7c35MJq5e0 and found it very useful.

Found some parts of the removal pretty tricky. There is a support bracket the connects the throttle body to the engine block which access to is terrible. Also removing the intake hose from the throttle body itself took me a while but some very careful prying with a few picks finally had it off:

Took me a couple of hours to get to this point but finally the manifold was off!

It's common to have a couple of injectors get stuck in the manifold and come out with it. I got lucky and had all four injectors come out!

On with the decarbon! It was definitely needed as you can see:

I found it difficult to photo the results but it's much better now! Hopefully you can tell from these awful pics:

Few bits need swapping from old to new manifold such as throttle body and fuel rail etc:

Injectors needed a little clean too:

When the injectors come out during this removal, the seals must be replaced. There's a special VW tool for this seal replacement but I used a Sealey equivalent. Luckily I was able to get 4 new seal kits before starting the job.

These vanes were pretty disgusting but came up pretty well after being cleaned:

Freshly cleaned injectors with new seals fitted back to the head:

Installation went pretty smoothly thankfully. Lots and lots of double checking that I'd connected everything back up later and she fired into life second time of asking (fuel system needed time to prime).

Was going to change the fuel filter today too but I didn't fancy any more time out in the rain than necessary ;)

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #2898 on: 29 July 2017, 23:00 »
 Good work.
May also be worth posting your last couple of posts as seperate threads as it would be fantastic reference for others in the future.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2899 on: 30 July 2017, 11:38 »
That is top work  :cool:

How does the car drive now? Any noticeable difference?