Author Topic: Budget Audio Recommendations  (Read 3120 times)

Offline 16vmk3ash

• GTI forum regular
Budget Audio Recommendations
« on: 17 October 2005, 21:57 »
I am looking to upgrade the speakers in my MK3 Golf to 6.5 components front and rear and run them of a 4 channel amp on the cheap but with good sound.

I bought a copy of Max power the other day as it there was a big ICE section going on. In the 6.5inch componet section there is some Mac Audio Premium at £60 and some Audiobahn AS speakers for £70 which caught my eye.

Does anyone have any experience of these speakers as my internet quest to find reviews has turned up nothing for the mac audio and mixed reviews for the audiobahn but i have found the same audiobahn speakers in america which i can get for £16 a pair plus postage.

Also i need a AMP! anyone know of a good one for say £50 - £100 with 4 channels. MAX power is not as important to me as sound quality. I have seen the following going cheap on ebay -

PHOENIX GOLD Octane-R 5.0:4  500W
Kenwood KAC-6401 320W
sony xplod 500W

Can anyone recommend theses amps and speakers or know or any good alternatives?

Thanks

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
Re: Budget Audio Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2005, 22:36 »
amp.... tbh we got a few good offers in at work (motorworld) prob shudn't tell ya.. but you can 4 channels bout 80 i think... but then again i dunno... i discount everything...

Offline 16vmk3ash

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2005, 23:12 »
What make are the amps and are they any good?

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2005, 08:22 »
don't ask me to much will ya.. one of thems a GTO... but there are others...   too early...

Offline 1 Lp

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2005, 11:05 »
On a buget, and sound quality easy.....

1. Alpine SPS171A (front Speakers)
2. Alpine SWS1222D (Sub)
3. Phoenix Gold R504 (4Channel)
4. 4 or 2 Gauage wiring

This set up is the best set up on a budget or not. Seriously u'll be surprised @ wat it sounds like. Also carefull in wat headunit you choose, choose the wrong one and it will sound pants!!!
VWs are like women, they need love care and attention

Offline diablo66

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2005, 10:19 »
For the money they cost, don't forget to check out the Mutant range of amps, very respectable output and sound quality and they cost pennies too :evil:

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2005, 10:52 »
mutant ain't that cheap  :undecided:... not as jbl go.. and i think jbl r pretty good....

Offline diablo66

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2005, 11:21 »
I beg to differ honey,
Tried the jbl (gto i think) and the mutant sounds much better, in my opinion obviously.
Have to admit i'm not sure what the shop prices are as i get them discounted via a trade supplier, but i think i only paid about £40 so they can't be that expensive retail, are they?
But at the end of the day, we can buy whatever bits we like, but it's how well we install them that will make the biggest difference.

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2005, 13:04 »
On a buget, and sound quality easy.....

1. Alpine SPS171A (front Speakers)

Agreed... don't get the lesser model down from these (SXS1757) as they are absolute crap. I was sent (and only charged for) these by mistake but thought what the hell I'll give them a go. Awful! Going back for the 171's ASAP!

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2005, 14:22 »
How cheap is cheap?

I'd go:
MTX THS652 in the front and back. (£200)
MTX MXA4004 4ch amp. (£250)
decent 4 Gauge wiring kit. (£50)
2x Dynamat Extreme speaker kits. (£30)
2x Decent RCA cables. (£30-60)

Those are our prices in the shop. If you want to buy without a warrenty and have endless trouble then save a few quid and buy off the net.

We'd sort you out a good deal on all that kit (which we have in stock) so you'd probably get it for around £500 all fitted in your car and it'd sound sweet as. :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD