Author Topic: why has my turbo has stoped working????  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Starry

• GTI forum regular
  • http://planetweed.co.uk
why has my turbo has stoped working????
« on: 06 September 2003, 00:21 »
i have a 1999 gti T it has suddenly lost all boost, the turbo does not spin up that i can notice but there is still a noise when changing gear from the wastgate thing. i have checked for split pipes but cant find any. if anyone has any idea please post it.. ???
1.8T 200bhp/237lbft.r32 F/BUMPER/ MILLTEK TURBO BACK,WITH HI-FLOW CAT/REVO/BAILY DV30/FRONT MOUNT I/C

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re:why has my turbo has stoped working????
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2003, 16:53 »
Hi,

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but the turbo producing no boost and you not feeling any are two very different things.

If you can hear the 'whoosing noise' that you normally hear when backing off the throttle or changing gear, the chances are that your turbo is still producing boost, but you have a boost leak.

If you feel absolutely no boost what-so-ever, its likely to be a stuck wastegate (in the open position) which means you're constantly venting boost to atmosphere, rather than only on throttle lift.

It may even just be the wastegate actuator which has failed, in which case your repairs aren't going to cost you a fortune! (Good news at last!)

Fingers crossed buddy.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

golfvr6

« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2003, 20:36 »
Sounds like that could well be your problem.

Offline Starry

• GTI forum regular
  • http://planetweed.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2003, 23:29 »
thanks for your help guys but it just started working again. which is nice and cheap... ;D
1.8T 200bhp/237lbft.r32 F/BUMPER/ MILLTEK TURBO BACK,WITH HI-FLOW CAT/REVO/BAILY DV30/FRONT MOUNT I/C

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2003, 07:13 »
It don't get much cheaper than that  ;D

Glad you're back to full power buddy 8)

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel