Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2759831 times)

Offline CR4ZYHOR5E

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #780 on: 10 March 2014, 20:09 »
For the avoidance of doubt I admire the dedication of people that detail their cars and many of you have offered very valid reasons for doing it - not least the enjoyment of getting your car just so.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #781 on: 10 March 2014, 20:52 »
Thanks pal! They do look pretty smart, excuse the horrible glare on this one but here is a more zoomed in one...

Back to the plates then to avoid comparing wiping your arse to cleaning your car....

Are they fixed with double sided sticky pads?  I have been looking at pressed plates for quite a while but wondered if a number plate frame was best to avoid drilling plates... prefer the flush (excuse the toilet analogy) look of yours!

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #782 on: 10 March 2014, 21:12 »
Thanks pal! They do look pretty smart, excuse the horrible glare on this one but here is a more zoomed in one...

Back to the plates then to avoid comparing wiping your arse to cleaning your car....

Are they fixed with double sided sticky pads?  I have been looking at pressed plates for quite a while but wondered if a number plate frame was best to avoid drilling plates... prefer the flush (excuse the toilet analogy) look of yours!

Haha yes, they are stuck on using double sided adhesive pads. I didn't want to drill them as I wanted to avoid the screw heads being shown, ruins the look IMO. The company I bought the plates from supplied 6 pads per plate and they seem to be pretty strong too. Adjusting the position was pretty damn difficult once any contact was made!
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #783 on: 10 March 2014, 21:16 »

Haha yes, they are stuck on using double sided adhesive pads. I didn't want to drill them as I wanted to avoid the screw heads being shown, ruins the look IMO. The company I bought the plates from supplied 6 pads per plate and they seem to be pretty strong too. Adjusting the position was pretty damn difficult once any contact was made!

Cheers, might order a set myself now - still worried about the law :)

Offline GiT1984

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #784 on: 10 March 2014, 22:08 »
Loving all the pics gents - keep up the good work! There are some SERIOUSLY clean cars out there .....   :whistle:
2014 Mk7 GTi - CSG, PP, Leather, DSG, ACC, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Reversing Camera, Rear Airbags, Winter pack.

2013 Porsche Boxster S

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #785 on: 11 March 2014, 11:35 »
Gave mine a full weekend of detailing after the dealers made a hash of it! Full write up is here: http://www.waxamomo.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6746 (hope its OK to link to the Forum Sponsors Forum?!)

Just a couple of pics:

Also fitted front LED indicator bulbs, pressed plates, a black Richbrook GTI Tax Disc Holder and VW Dustcaps!

Jon

Seen this on Detailing World. Good job!
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #786 on: 12 March 2014, 00:54 »
Looks amazing Jon!  Can't believe how thorough you were - even going to the degree of removing the wheels!

Is detailing purely a hobby for you?

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #787 on: 12 March 2014, 09:26 »
Wheels off is an essential step, as the crap congregates on the back of the spokes which you can never adequately clean on the car. Mine will be off shortly!

Looking good there Birchy.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #788 on: 12 March 2014, 09:45 »
Looks amazing Jon!  Can't believe how thorough you were - even going to the degree of removing the wheels!

Is detailing purely a hobby for you?

Thanks very much! Yes detailing is just a hobby, but I am very enthusiastic about it and offer to clean friends/families cars just for the cost of me keeping stock of the materials/chemicals used.

I did think about running it as a business part time but I don't really want to commit to it every weekend to cover costs. Got a nice few cars coming up though for a friend including a McLaren 12C, Aston DB9 Volante, Bentley GTC, New Range Rover and a Bentley Mulsanne!  :laugh:
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #789 on: 12 March 2014, 11:24 »
FFs gave the car a full clean and as much as I love DBP when it's clean, my god it shows up so many scratches, swirls and stone chips. Think il take the car to a detailed in the summer and have them work overtime. Grrrrrr. Should have gone for white, hides a multitude of sins
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)