Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2741013 times)

Offline Buggaluggs

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #710 on: 26 February 2014, 20:11 »
Gave it the normal pampering and yet again got so frustrated with the amount of water that seems to hold in crevices then piss all down the bodywork just when you think the job is done, doors seals, boot seals, wing mirrors open, wing mirrors retracted, rear light clusters, door handles ...................... the TT had one either side on the window seals, wipe twice and job done, Mrs D thinks I have OCD as I think I do 30 laps of the car after each dry  :grin:

Also today after over 5 months and 1200 miles I found the first stone chip :cry: Strangly enough its in the exact same place all but 10mm to the first on a previous GTI, drivers side windscreen frame, quite a chunk too, might wait for a few more then get them all done together.                                                                 
You are spot on about the cars ability to keep on and on and on slowly releasing its water! And I am also having to remove a spot of wax residue from both sills each time I clean the car, I assume it is coming from the front doors.
'Never rub another mans rhubarb!'

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
« Reply #711 on: 26 February 2014, 20:16 »
open the boot and take a look up in where the hinges are at the top after washing - massive watertrap!
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #712 on: 27 February 2014, 13:15 »
open the boot and take a look up in where the hinges are at the top after washing - massive watertrap!

Yes, there's a few water traps. I'm not keen on the dirty flood marks that come down from the side badges after it's rained. Biggest trap is the water trough where the front windscreen wipers come out of, it's like a swimming pool down there.

And on that subject, on others cars I had, you can just pull up the windscreen wipers to wash them… but the bonnets in the way on the GTi - how does everyone get round this?
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #713 on: 27 February 2014, 13:19 »

Yes, there's a few water traps. I'm not keen on the dirty flood marks that come down from the side badges after it's rained. Biggest trap is the water trough where the front windscreen wipers come out of, it's like a swimming pool down there.

And on that subject, on others cars I had, you can just pull up the windscreen wipers to wash them… but the bonnets in the way on the GTi - how does everyone get round this?

Ignition on, then off, then hold the wiper stalk down for a few seconds, the wipers will sweep up to a vertical position and you can get them off the screen for cleaning.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #714 on: 27 February 2014, 13:29 »

Ignition on, then off, then hold the wiper stalk down for a few seconds, the wipers will sweep up to a vertical position and you can get them off the screen for cleaning.

Thanks monkeyhanger  :smiley:

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #715 on: 27 February 2014, 14:43 »
Gave it the normal pampering and yet again got so frustrated with the amount of water that seems to hold in crevices then piss all down the bodywork just when you think the job is done, doors seals, boot seals, wing mirrors open, wing mirrors retracted, rear light clusters, door handles ...................... the TT had one either side on the window seals, wipe twice and job done, Mrs D thinks I have OCD as I think I do 30 laps of the car after each dry  :grin:

Also today after over 5 months and 1200 miles I found the first stone chip :cry: Strangly enough its in the exact same place all but 10mm to the first on a previous GTI, drivers side windscreen frame, quite a chunk too, might wait for a few more then get them all done together.

In my quest for detailing gadgets and pure indulgence, I bought myself a Metrovac Air Force Blaster which is basically a big powerful 4HP hair dryer and it is perfect for blasting away the water from all traps!

It's a revelation, as it's no longer an issue for me. It's also brilliant for drying wheels and tyres therefore allowing the tyre dressing to bond to a dry surface.

They're £200 for the one I have, but you can get a little 'Sidekick' version for £75!
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #716 on: 27 February 2014, 15:04 »

In my quest for detailing gadgets and pure indulgence, I bought myself a Metrovac Air Force Blaster which is basically a big powerful 4HP hair dryer and it is perfect for blasting away the water from all traps!

It's a revelation, as it's no longer an issue for me. It's also brilliant for drying wheels and tyres therefore allowing the tyre dressing to bond to a dry surface.

They're £200 for the one I have, but you can get a little 'Sidekick' version for £75!

Stick a link on for us. Can you do yer hair styling at same time?  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
« Reply #717 on: 27 February 2014, 15:20 »

Ive the sidekick version and its has some kickback when you turn it on!! Great bit of kit for drying wheels and crevices etc
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #718 on: 27 February 2014, 21:38 »
Door wind deflector - front doors (three-door)

£65.00 RRP Part Number - 5G3072193HU3

So tempted to order these, passed a GTI with a set on last week and I thought it looked quality. Bit naff maybe? Marmite I suppose
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #719 on: 27 February 2014, 21:46 »
Door wind deflector - front doors (three-door)

£65.00 RRP Part Number - 5G3072193HU3

So tempted to order these, passed a GTI with a set on last week and I thought it looked quality. Bit naff maybe? Marmite I suppose

Shop around :)

http://www.volkswagenpartsuk.co.uk/product/Golf_%5B5G%5D_Wind_Deflectors_5G3072193HU3
http://shop.ahw-shop.de/vw-tuer-windabweiser-2-tuerer-golf-7-vii-original-vw-zubehoer-5g3072193hu3

Would be interested to see how these look outside of the accessories brochure!