Author Topic: Radiator woes (off topic)  (Read 2036 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Radiator woes (off topic)
« on: 12 March 2003, 22:22 »
Long post but feel the need to share this :P
I've come across some challanges in the past but this takes the biscuit for what should be a simple job >:(
Drove home in the early hours of Monday morning after a night shift and whilst bombing down the M25 (4am in the morning.......yes it is actually clear of other cars ;D) a temperature icon flashes up in red on my audi >:(.
To cut a long story short, the radiator has started leaking. I think, no problem, simply remove the rad spend about ?80 on a new one, job done..........wrong  :o
That rad is shoe horned in, took me all day to get it out, had to remove hydraulic pump, drain the hydraulic reservoir and then remove the reservoir, remove the coolant overflow tank, front valance, loads of plastic ducting etc.,  >:( >:(
Anyway, got it ready to remove just had a few pipes at the bottom. Undid one of them, a union, and oil came out!  ??? Turns out this radiator/car has an oil cooler built into the radiator, OMG how much is this going to cost!!! ?270 and thats from Eurocarparts >:( I paid ?250 for that Golf GTI cabriolet.....kinda puts things into perspective doesn't it? Having finally got it out I'm taking it to http://www.serckintertruck.co.uk/ tomorrow where they are going to flow and px check it for free and then give me a quote for repair/recore. Watch this space. I'm going down the pub to drown my sorrows :'(

« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Radiator woes (off topic)
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2003, 22:39 »
Just think of it as a very good radiator with an almost free (in comparison) car attached!  :P

I think those beers are well deserved!

jv
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity