Author Topic: Karcher K2 Compact & CYC Snowfoam issue  (Read 2912 times)

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
Karcher K2 Compact & CYC Snowfoam issue
« on: 11 January 2017, 09:35 »
Both these have been working fine for the first few months but I cannot now release the Snowfoam unit from the Karcher pistol grip fitting (to use the Karcher lance.)

The CYC Snowfoamer, fitted with Karcher adapter, has and does work well but I would like to use the power washer itself again.

Has anybody had this problem ?

I've tried everything I can think of to release it without physically breaking it.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Karcher K2 Compact & CYC Snowfoam issue
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2017, 12:22 »
Both these have been working fine for the first few months but I cannot now release the Snowfoam unit from the Karcher pistol grip fitting (to use the Karcher lance.)

The CYC Snowfoamer, fitted with Karcher adapter, has and does work well but I would like to use the power washer itself again.

Has anybody had this problem ?

I've tried everything I can think of to release it without physically breaking it.

Not with my K2 unit, but have had terrible problems recently getting my PA snow foam lance both attached and then detached from the K4 Karcher I am using (my K2 has been loaned to someone).  It's definitely the Karcher handle that's the problem and is just incredibly stiff and requires brute force to push the lance connector in and twist it to lock in.  Trouble is in the process of trying to get it attached and detached, part of the lance mechanism starts to unscrew, scuppering the whole effort. Last time I cleaned the car, I spent nearly 3/4 hour trying to get the damned thing on.  Managed eventually by a combination of wearing grippy gloves, a bit of bike grease and bracing the lance against a wall and summoning up as much strength as possible.  Getting it off was not quite so bad but required a lot of effort. 

Have you tried lubricating it where it connects with a bit of grease?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2017, 13:32 »
Yes thanks I've tried Silicon spray - no joy.
Then Spray Grease - no joy.

Tried pulling power using Wally cloths - no joy.
Even mounted it in a vice wrapped in old cloths but will not release still does the part rotation .

Left it in a bucket of warm water hoping one part might expand to release it - no joy.

Looks like I'll need to get a spare Karcher pistol grip to use the lance again with the original grip now a permanent foam tool.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2017, 21:00 »
That's why I bought a Nilfisk.
Karcher, the lower end models at least, are sh!te and have been for years :sad:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2017, 21:56 »
That's why I bought a Nilfisk.
Karcher, the lower end models at least, are sh!te and have been for years :sad:

Already have a Nilfisk-Alto at my other property but the K2 is compact, cheap and easily moved for the use its getting here.

Have ordered a new spare pistol grip for £14.50 so problem solved.

Offline SAMas93

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2017, 16:19 »
I've had the same problem of the lance getting extremely stiff with my K4 unit lately.

I've been told to try leaving the connection end submerged in a bucket of coca-cola overnight, to try ease up any crud and crap that may have accumulated on the spring mechanism.

If you manage to give this a go before me, let me know how you get on!

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2017, 06:40 »
I had a similar issue years ago - my machine was over 12 months old, so I tried my luck with Karcher customer services and they sent me a new handle. Worth a try.