Author Topic: HOW TO: Install a Bluetooth Hands Free with Mic.  (Read 127144 times)

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
Re: HOW TO: Install a Bluetooth Hands Free with Mic.
« Reply #50 on: 15 January 2014, 00:28 »
Hey guys, so looking over this thread, thanks to original poster it looks a fairly easy job, but would it be better to buy an RNS-315 which already has Bluetooth built in and then wire the mic instead of buying the VW Bluetooth Kit?

Ultimately, would there be any difference between the 2? Ie would you still get display on the MFD of caller ID/phonebook, would it be controllable via the MFSW / support AD2P etc etc

Currently wondering whether to go the 315 option which is more 'all in one box' as it will work out a bit cheaper overall (taking into account the sale of the RCD it replaces).

Appreciate any help in advance!

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #51 on: 15 January 2014, 08:24 »
I've got a RNS315 in my Passat and an RCD510 with added on bluetooth in my Golf.

Sat Nav aside,for usability and features, the 315 is a much better overall package, however I'm sure that there was someone on here that had problems getting a 315 to work in a Golf. It must be doable tho'. A neighbour has a 2009 Golf SE with a shark fin aerial. I had a peep through the window and he has a 315. I'm pretty sure that radio wasn't around in 2009, so I suspect that it originally had a RNS510 and at some point a dealer has swapped it from a Passat or similar if the customer wanted an upgrade. I'm not sure which MFD his Golf has, or is it has a MFSW for that matter. I'll have to go and find out.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #52 on: 15 January 2014, 21:58 »
Can't see it being an issue, i've had quite a few of these type of cars (Leon, Golf, A3, more Leons, More Golf's  :grin:) I seem to remember retrofitting the RNS-510 a few times, but not the 315, although my Leon FR had one of those as standard and was a 59 plate.

I'll give it a whirl mate! :)

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #53 on: 21 January 2014, 14:35 »
I fitted it today took about 30 minutes or so, didn't need to use a coat-hanger just the good old stick your hands through and play 'reach the cable'  :grin: it's generally a very easy job, and thanks to the OP some nice tactics such as removing handles to get a bit more access :)

I used the factory VW mic from Kufatec for a completely OEM install, you can get it here;

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/Volkswagen/Golf-6-5K/Wiring-Microphone-for-VW-RNS-315-Bluetooth-Only

Basically, the mic sits in the hole in the interior light area (as the first page original poster shows) then you feed that Kufatec harness to the back of the RNS-315, and fit it inside the quad lock, code it and job done.

The RNS-315 does not have a Jack input for a mic, it uses the cable above which is to my knowledge only available from Kufatec, only takes a couple of days to arrive to be fair.

To fit the GPS antenna, best thing to do is undo the 2 screws underneath the heater vents (you will see them once you take the radio out) and then the whole heater vent unit pops out, there is a gap at the top, pop a bit of velcro or double sided tape on the bottom of the GPS and stick it to the top part, feed the wire down the side, nice and easy - replace heater vents, all good & lots of signal.

Only thing I will say, is that the RNS-315 does not seem to let me control the phone using the MFSW, pretty sure I can hang up using the phone button on the steering wheel, but cannot dial out or do anything like that, it all seems to be controlled purely through using the 315 interface.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2014, 14:38 by SeanyK »

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 21 January 2014, 19:21 »
SeanyK, does your RNS315 have built in Bluetooth? I had to buy a seperate module and wiring harness and I still havent got round to fitting this
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #55 on: 21 January 2014, 22:48 »
It does mate yeah, you might as well flog that and get one that has it built in, be a lot easier, although that said if I can't use the telephone button on the MFSW it may actually be better to get a separate module, as whilst it's nice using the 315 to dial numbers etc, its not as good as using the MFD to select contacts and dial using the steering wheel etc.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 22 January 2014, 06:01 »
It does mate yeah, you might as well flog that and get one that has it built in, be a lot easier, although that said if I can't use the telephone button on the MFSW it may actually be better to get a separate module, as whilst it's nice using the 315 to dial numbers etc, its not as good as using the MFD to select contacts and dial using the steering wheel etc.

Cheers! Think I will go with the BT module so I can use MFSW for dialling (hopefully!)  :whistle:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline adey1

• Just got here
« Reply #57 on: 30 March 2014, 13:37 »
hi guys/girls new to the forum just got a mk6 gt tdi 09 reg in the georgia metalic blue and been planning a few mods my first being fitting a rns 315 and mircophone thanks to this great forum fitting the mircophone was a doodle got from these guys
http://www.carsystems.pl/wiring-microphone-3b0035711b-for-vw-rns-315-bluetooth-only,id388.html
gave some great advice and for 38 euro delivered  couldn't go wrong
this one comes with a black connector which fits into the qaudlock on mine i noticed there was a previous poster struggling to get the green connector to stay in, that one is for 2010 on, the black one is for 09 cars.
and thats all i needed fitted to the car entered the code on rns 315 and everything works fine i get the phone and nav on the mfd and the mfsw buttons all control the unit easiest mod i have done just got to get a set of 18 inch vancouver alloys and i'm sorted

Offline Greg_ED35

• Not said much yet
  • Golf GTI Edition 35
« Reply #58 on: 16 January 2015, 16:03 »
I have got the oem bluetooth module kit but there at two places on the loom i can plug the mic in ?? Either going to the module or going to the head unit. Any ideas anyone ???

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #59 on: 21 January 2015, 17:24 »
It depends on which radio you have or if you have voice control.

Just try it before you put everything back together. If it's in the wrong one, all that will happen is the person on the other end of the phone won't hear you.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2015, 16:29 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.