Author Topic: Scott's Mk2 Golf GTI - 51k mile Alpine White Run Out Model  (Read 30912 times)

Offline scott-o

• GTI forum regular
Thread duplicated from a local forum i am on, picked it up last Saturday:

Well as some of you know I have purchased Phil’s Mk2 off of him. I’ve always wanted one since I was about 8 and my grandad had an oak green mk2 gti. I’ve nearly taken the plunge a few times but this time the car was too good to pass up.

A little bit of information (some of it shamelessly copied and edited from Phil’s thread)

It’s a 1992 run out model GTI 8v.

I'm the 4th owner now after Phil has only had it a few weeks before falling for his 24k mile Scirocco and letting the mk2 go to fund this project! Previous owner to this had it for a year where he bought it locally from an elderly lady. When he went to view the car the only bits of rust he could find were on the bottom of the struts, drop links, calipers and other running gear bits so he decided to change and upgrade these bits and its now on stiffened Koni shocks and springs.

Original bill of sale shows the original owner part ex'd her Scirocco Scala against the golf (what a coincidence that Phil has done the opposite!) She kept on top of the services and MOT's until around 2006 when she stopped using it so much but still had the car picked up by VW for mot's. Service history is pretty impressive, including a £1600 bill from VW for removal of all trim to check for rust and repair any found, some was found around the plinth on the boot so the boot lid was replaced for a new one!

Car is just shy of 51k miles now (put about 150 on it this weekend!)

Phil had done an awesome job of detailing the car prior to me picking it up last Saturday, few pics below:

Future plans will be to keep ontop of the cleaning, get some coilovers and sort out a wheel change, ill be keeping the ra’s too of course.

Immediate plans have been to fit a mk3 weighted shiftrod, polished door handle inserts, hella stickered spots (originals have gone milky as seen above) and a big chavy ram air filter :laugh:
« Last Edit: 29 February 2012, 15:45 by scott-o »

Offline scott-o

• GTI forum regular
Re: Scott's Mk2 Golf GTI - 51k mile Alpine White Run Out Model
« Reply #1 on: 29 February 2012, 15:44 »
Upon going to Phils and collecting the car, within 5 minutes we had started the first few mods (cheers Phil and Cooper) the Hella spots are in, the weighted shiftrod is on and the ram-air filter is being its chavy self!

The only immediate problem for me was that the passenger side parcel shelf support was cracked so I’ve sorted a pair of new ones (seller wouldn’t sell separately, so I have a nice spare one) they were mint condition except very dusty! Spent awhile cleaning the one I need, comparison shots of the two:

Boot light switch surround got a touch up with some matt black:

Picture of it at yesterdays vagcars meet (cheers Kurt):

And thanks to Matty I’ve got this for it:

And thanks to Phil for fitting! Ended up using the black momo horn push below as wasnt keen on the one that came with the wheel (can see the polished door handle inserts too):

Phil was also a hero and gave me some carpet turret covers as they fitted the later cars with these horrible cardboard/foam ones, so i have a few little bits to do to smarten it up.

Offline scott-o

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 February 2012, 15:46 »
Rear parcel shelf support is now fitted along with the carpeted turret covers. The boot area looks perfect now!

I have also ordered some mk3 top mounts for the front, new rear top mounts and a KW V1 Inox-line coilover kit. Hopefully that will be on soon.

Just got to secure some wheels now  :smiley:

Offline iansabf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 29 February 2012, 22:29 »
Lovely mk2 scott. Is it lowered already in the pics? What wheels are you getting? Keep seeing these mk2 threads makes me really regret selling mine  :cry:

Offline scott-o

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2012, 11:02 »
Cheers mate, I've always wanted one so I'll hopefully be hanging onto this one and not letting it go easy!

It's got koni suspension at the mo that's pretty new but don't think it's lowered really. The front looks pretty low compared to other standard ones I have seen though! Kw coilovers should be here very soon though, can't wait!

Hopefully I'll be getting hold of some immaculate bbs rm's with 1.0 rs outers so the same as the optional g60's but half an inch wider. Hopefully them and the coilovers will set it off!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2012, 17:33 »
Looks awsome!  :cool: Such an awsome original example, please dont go swapping everything out and chavving it up!.  :sad:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2012, 23:42 »
Very nice mk2  :cool: needs to be kept original

Offline Podge92

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2012, 02:06 »
i love it man!

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
  • if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2012, 07:35 »
i agree with those guys... a car in this condition should be kept original

Offline scott-o

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2012, 11:41 »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm afraid to say it wont be getting kept completely original (wheres the fun in that haha) but any changes will be period/ oem touches and completely reversable i.e suspension/ bbs rm's/ steering wheel etc