Author Topic: Ruby black mk2 vr6, the week long conversion challenge begins!  (Read 26906 times)

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
Re: Ear we go again!
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2010, 17:41 »
Cheers guys!  I am thinking something more subtle, was using some copper grease yesterday and it got me thinking!!
I think they are Wolfrace or OZ, not 100% though.  I have managed to rope the missus into sticking the headlining back on saturday, I made it sound like a fun girly thing to do!!

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2010, 22:14 »
Cheers guys!  I am thinking something more subtle, was using some copper grease yesterday and it got me thinking!!
I think they are Wolfrace or OZ, not 100% though.  I have managed to rope the missus into sticking the headlining back on saturday, I made it sound like a fun girly thing to do!!

yeh good luck with that  :grin:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2010, 07:44 »
Looks like a clean shell, looking forward to seeing this ;)

Dan

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2010, 21:10 »
I managed to dragged myself down the workshop today to get a few bits done.  The headlining had fallen down at the back so I got it out, cleaned all the foam rubbish off of it and stuck it back on. It will do for now but will recover it eventually.   I then convinced the missus to mask up the grill for a fresh red stripe.... It kept her occupied for HOURS. She is pedantic so did a good job... apart from the bits she missed  :grin:

Also had a crack at the faded rear bumper as it was almost white, much improved I reckon!

I have a job to get out the way then I think I will set about stripping it  :tongue:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2010, 16:18 »
Looks loads better that!.... nice one.. silly question, why id the L missing from your reg in the last pic?

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2010, 18:12 »
Cheers. Its just a convenient reflection!

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2010, 17:51 »
Have really got the bug again now  :laugh:  I even got up 2 hours early to get a few bits done on the car.  I set about sorting the few patches of rust.. or so i thought.

Under the window had rusted through the panel so it had to be cut out.

Cleaned back and rust treated before a coat of etch primer, i will go round skim all the offending areas with filler at a later date.

Me being daft thought that was the worst bit of rust, and then I took off the drivers rear arch..

Out with mr angry again...

will be fabricating and welding in a new arch section tomorrow morning.
A few random pics from the workshop and the surprisingly mint interior:

Pimp my door..
« Last Edit: 06 September 2010, 17:56 by Benrevs »

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2010, 21:41 »
Right then! Fairly big update now as, I have had time to work on it after finishing the last big job for a while.(pics included)  Turns out I have less than two weeks to finish the car, so I will be fully at it from now on and am expecting to be painting it mid next week. :lipsrsealed:  I have found more rusty bits as I have been taking trim off etc, seems like 1 forward and 2 back  :rolleyes:

I have finished patching up the arches at the rear and skimmed some of the bits I treated earlier on in the thread. 

I then got hold of another mk2 which was 1.3 with loads of GTI bits on it, including g60 arches :tongue: a stainless exhaust, omp steering wheel, audiosport door pods and some handy panel sections!!  I picked it up as a non-runner for 150 squid, I sold the Jetta front end off of it and a few other bits and made my money back straight away... which was nice!

After some deliberation i decided that the bootlid from the breaker was in better nick than mine, so i set about repairing it and flushing the wiper and washer jet holes.

Removed the roof strips and found this on the offside:

I trial fitted the exhaust I nabbed off the other golf, being a 1.3 it needed some convincing and still nedds shortening a few inches,  but looks ok:

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
Paint day is coming!!!
« Reply #18 on: 29 September 2010, 21:53 »
My mate came up saturday and helped with a few things. We got the sunroof out and the majority of the car flatted and keyed:

I ordered a repair panel for the filler area, but they screwed up and hit me with an 8 week delivery time so... I cancelled and cut the offending section from the other mk2 then set about butchering mine:

Found some more rust, nice...

My new wing turned up complete with dents and dodgy fit..

Oh and so did my paint!  Its in black and white because its a surprise  :grin:

More to come 2moz.  Oh here is the mk4 I just finished, It was attacked with paint stripper, he got a custom roof just for giggles  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 30 September 2010, 20:15 by Benrevs »

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 29 September 2010, 22:27 »
ref the welding, did you leave it as lots of tacks or did you seam weld the whole thing before smoothing? :undecided: