Author Topic: Front Brake Calliper Spacer  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Toutatis

• Just got here
Front Brake Calliper Spacer
« on: 19 April 2021, 19:53 »
Hi

I have recently replaced the pads and discs on my 130TDI.  Other than a frozen handbrake bracket the rears were a doddle but unexpectedly I am struggling with the fronts!

Discs and pads are fitted but I’ve realised that the back of the discs are rubbing on the calliper bracket.  The simplest way I could think to fix this is to move the bracket backwards by adding some washers as spacers.  Not sure if this is a sound solution or if there are spacers out there for just such an issue. 

Has anyone come across this before or have any thoughts?

Thanks

Matt

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Front Brake Calliper Spacer
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2021, 22:51 »
Makes me think something is wrong somewhere in the supplied parts or fitment  :huh:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Toutatis

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2021, 13:43 »
Thank you, that was my concern.  Interestingly having taken a closer look and compared the two sides the one with the most significant contact is actual from the nut holding the bracket.  Strangely one side has a nut the other doesn’t and on the other side the bolt doesn’t reach through to the calliper.  I’m going to take a look at the weekend to try and work out what is actually causing the difference, whether it’s just the nut or the bracket itself and whether I have slightly different specs on either side.

Offline Toutatis

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2021, 18:05 »
Hi

Thanks for the thoughts. I’ve taken another look and I have realised that one side has a nut on the bolt holding the calliper to the bracket and the other side does not. It is the extra length that this nut is adding that is resulting in the nut just rubbing against the disc. Everything else (from a dimension perspective) appears to be exactly the same so my next step is to remove the bolts and work out why one side would require a nut and the other wouldn’t.

Could it be that the threads in the calliper or bracket have been stripped and they resorted to a nut and bolt? Guess I’ll find out when I take them both apart again.

Thanks

Matt