Author Topic: lumpy idle and poor fuel consumption - maf/egr codes?  (Read 3617 times)

Offline samjac68

• GTI forum regular
hi guys. just wondering if i could get a bit of advice on this one...

ive recently bought a mk5 GT Tdi 140ps. it has an engine management light on and its pretty poor on fuel and has a real lumpy idle.

plugged into it with a solus and got, mass air flow - implausible signal and egr not flowing. if i reset it it will stay off and the idle seems better until the light and 'emissions control' flashes up after 30 miles or so.

the mpg seems to show 20-30mpg around town. if i put fuel in itll come up 100 miles and itll seem to reduce 5 miles on the computer for every 2 miles you do :sad:

the only other thing is it does have a slightly leaky boost pipe coming off the driver side of the intercooler (just hisses a bit)

so my question is, is this the egr, maf, boost pipe or something else? i know the maf monitors the egr so im not sure which way to go with it?

thanks all

sam :smiley:

Not got a golf yet! did have a 1.6 driver plan to have another project car soon ;)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: lumpy idle and poor fuel consumption - maf/egr codes?
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2013, 20:37 »
Go the cheapest first and work through the sensors and pipes. I would change that boost pipe straight away as you don't want to risk dirt and other nasties going into your turbo/engine.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: lumpy idle and poor fuel consumption - maf/egr codes?
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2013, 20:56 »
Fix the problem of the leaky boost pipe and go from there. You'll be surprised at how much it can affect performance

Then clean out the EGR valve