Author Topic: 4motion TDI Questions?  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Defender

• Not said much yet
4motion TDI Questions?
« on: 27 September 2012, 11:35 »
Hi All,

Firstly apologies for all the questions but I am thinking of buying a 4mo golf and I wondered if the knowledge of the forum may be able to give a bit of advice please?

1. Are there any particular problems reported with this model and what should I check when I go to view? (When I find a decent one that hasn't been to the moon and back!).

2. Do they have chocolate cams or any other expensive known issues like some of the Mk4s?

3. What transmission is fitted is it an 02M or something else? (Linked to below question).

4. Do they still have the dreaded dual mass flywheel or did VW fit something more heavy duty for the 4wd? If they do still have a dual mass jobbie can these be changed to a single mass from Valeo etc and has anyone on the forum done this with good results? (I'm sure darkside do one but I'm guessing it will be a grand or so, whereas Valeo do one for the mk4 for £350 that is good for a stage 1 remap).

5. Is it right that some models come with a heated front screen as well as rear, if so which model is this as that would be a handy feature?

Thanks,

Pete

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
Re: 4motion TDI Questions?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2012, 13:38 »
Hi All,

Firstly apologies for all the questions but I am thinking of buying a 4mo golf and I wondered if the knowledge of the forum may be able to give a bit of advice please?

1. Are there any particular problems reported with this model and what should I check when I go to view? (When I find a decent one that hasn't been to the moon and back!).

2. Do they have chocolate cams or any other expensive known issues like some of the Mk4s?

3. What transmission is fitted is it an 02M or something else? (Linked to below question).

4. Do they still have the dreaded dual mass flywheel or did VW fit something more heavy duty for the 4wd? If they do still have a dual mass jobbie can these be changed to a single mass from Valeo etc and has anyone on the forum done this with good results? (I'm sure darkside do one but I'm guessing it will be a grand or so, whereas Valeo do one for the mk4 for £350 that is good for a stage 1 remap).

5. Is it right that some models come with a heated front screen as well as rear, if so which model is this as that would be a handy feature?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete

I ran a Golf TDi 4Motion for 4 years, still miss it.

The 2Litre TDi in the 4Motion is the 140Bhp diesel lump as per the MkV, so servicing, oil etc is as per that engine. New Cambelt at 4 years I believe.

The Haldex unit needs an oil change at 40,000 miles or 4 years. That can be missed by some owners.

Looking at Autotrader they can be hard to find and most diesels have high miles. There was also a 2litre petrol 4Motion with the 150Bhp engine, those are harder to find but have lower miles.

The diesel 4Motion is no Impreza though, it is quick when it gets going and the traction from standstill is simply amazing. You can do a 4000 rev standing start, drop the clutch and it will take off with zero tyre squeal. You can feel the power feeding from the front to the back. In normal driving it is 90% to the front and 10% to the rear but the Haldex unit can send it all to the rear if needed. Shame there was no DSG option as first gear is very short.

Looking at 45-50 mpg on a run, lower than 2 wheel drive diesel but still very impressive.

Good luck

Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline Defender

• Not said much yet
Re: 4motion TDI Questions?
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2012, 17:17 »
Thanks for the reply and your experience the 4wd sounds pretty good. Will have to do some more research into prices and the 140 tdi engines (Couldn't afford to run a petrol on my daily commute even a 2wd one!).