Author Topic: Remove Kickdown with the DSG i manual mode?!  (Read 8093 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Remove Kickdown with the DSG i manual mode?!
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2017, 11:46 »
This is my major gripe on the DSG box, proper pain on track and also sometimes you end up changing up two gears, DCT box does not do this on the BMW so you have more control

This will fix it.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2017, 12:06 »
A small block of wood or similar fitted behind the pedal would also fix it. I doubt that last inch of pedal travel actually alters the performance in terms of throttle and fueling, in other words it's already at 100% by the time you hit the notch. A quick plug in to an OBD reader and monitoring the throttle pedal readings would confirm.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 15 September 2017, 14:15 »
That's the same gate used for over riding the speed limiter and not something I find myself going near very often!

I don't think you can override the speed limiter otherwise there would be potential problems.

Try it!

Yeah sorry I misread your post. I was thinking of Rev-Limiter  :rolleyes:
I did.... set it to 70 and it won't go over it... unless you kick down past the notched gate it goes BONG! but off you go.

There are safety reasons why you'd want to override it like this.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #23 on: 15 September 2017, 14:41 »
This is my major gripe on the DSG box, proper pain on track and also sometimes you end up changing up two gears, DCT box does not do this on the BMW so you have more control

Hmm, only taken DSG7 cars to the track but never had a problem with it, obviously talking about manual mode right? If you're on the ideal gear and keep revs high (at and above 4500 which is where I would imagine you should be anyway when aiming for a fast lap on a track) then it will never shift-down on its own in Manual.

Incidentally, I might hit the track tomorrow so will be able to confirm this for the DSG6 as well.

Offline titchy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 01 October 2018, 14:20 »
So having recently moved from a manual to DSG I'm learning about this 'kickdown'.

In my old manual, it felt as though when I pressed down through the gate that it gave me a little boost. In fact I'm certain of it. I'm not sure if this was because I hadn't already reached 100% of the travel or if the bit beyond the gate does actually provide some sort of overboost.

Now I own an automatic, I've realised that driving in the same way it kicks down a gear at which point the engine usually screams at me and then it changes back up to the gear I was in to begin with.

In the user manual it says that if the accelerator is depressed fully it will make use of the 'full vehicle acceleration'. Why can't I have full acceleration in the gear that I'm in?

Confused. Please help!  :undecided:
Black, 3 Door, MY '16 GTI.
Dynaudio, AppConnect.

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 03 October 2018, 10:00 »
The car will Kickdown in any mode!  :sad:. I don´t like that, and i had some isue with that on track...It is not safe when it kickdown in a corner...  :evil:

But after had talked to a tuner to remove the Kickdown, it is a risk that you brake the gearbox!

The DSG can´t handle the torque down in rpm..Therefor the kickdown...

So you have to get use of the kickdown!  :angry: :smiley:

Like this, on manuall cars you take this corner on 3....But the DSg shifts down to 2... :angry:

https://youtu.be/qPms9xI_ol8?t=153

My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 03 October 2018, 15:45 »

In the user manual it says that if the accelerator is depressed fully it will make use of the 'full vehicle acceleration'. Why can't I have full acceleration in the gear that I'm in?

Confused. Please help!  :undecided:

There’s a pronounced switch you can feel when depressing the accelerator fully.
This is the kickdown switch. As said earlier in the thread, there’s no way around this without a TCU remap.
You can train yourself not to hit the switch which will help keep the car in a higher gear.

The DSG is robotic and programmed to automatically put the car in a gear it deems the most effective for the amount of pedal depression. In extremes, either heavy application of very light application it’ll either change down for max acceleration or up for economy as it continuously monitors load versus engine torque.
It’s the in between throttle openings where it can make “less informed” or “more efficient” changes as its sensors aren’t human. Us humans know what we prefer but the gearbox knows what it was programmed and has no other method of anticipation.
There are a lot of mechanical failsafes designed in and one of the reasons it won’t allow max acceleration in a high gear is to protect the clutches.
As a human driving a high torque car you’d prefer the responses of instant torque and acceleration in the gear you’re already using (assuming its within the boost parameters) but the gearbox tends to prefer to change down to a point it deems more “efficient” and clutch friendly. 

In other words you have to train yourself to use the gearbox, not the other way round!

This is a really useful thread if it’s not been linked in this thread already:
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/11881-understanding-and-using-your-dsg-box/

« Last Edit: 03 October 2018, 16:02 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 03 October 2018, 21:30 »
Thanks Exonian, that's a great vwroc thread for learning more about DSG. I'm definitely going to be accelerating before down-shifting from now on!
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 03 October 2018, 22:02 »
Learn to avoid hitting the kickdown switch.  If you sit in the car (engine off) and puush the throttle down to the point at which it just pauses/stops, you can feel the switch there, then continue to push down, you’ll feel and hear the kickdown switch depress.  It makes a dull click sound.  Practice this a good few times and you’ll get to know the extent of pedal travel to the point of just stopping short of hitting the switch, then it soon becomes second nature to avoid it, and thus avoiding dropping a gear or two unless you intentionally want to.  I can’t remember the last time I hit the kickdown switch such is my habit of not taking the throttle to that point.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2018, 22:05 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11