Author Topic: New for 2011 mk3 Golf race series  (Read 14482 times)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: New for 2011 mk3 Golf race series
« Reply #20 on: 17 November 2010, 19:17 »
If you're looking for cheap motorsport come to Brazil and enter in the Peugeot rally cup. You pay about 50,000 reais which is around 18K, and for that you get a brand new rally spec Pug 207 from Peugeot Brasil, transport of the car to and from every race of the season, the subscription to the season, all the FIA approved gear, special discount on all parts (tyres included) and a few other bits and bobs I can't remember.

It works out cheaper than a season of karting, and it's of higher level.

My dad and I are seriosuly thinking about doing it in the nearby future, all depends if his new business goes well (Outlook looks good!).

Er I think the cost of flights might well ruin the cheapness of that and you also have to drive a pug, urrrrgh.

nick

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 17 November 2010, 19:30 »
I dunno man, Id love to do it! :laugh:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #22 on: 17 November 2010, 19:30 »
If you're looking for cheap motorsport come to Brazil and enter in the Peugeot rally cup. You pay about 50,000 reais which is around 18K, and for that you get a brand new rally spec Pug 207 from Peugeot Brasil, transport of the car to and from every race of the season, the subscription to the season, all the FIA approved gear, special discount on all parts (tyres included) and a few other bits and bobs I can't remember.

It works out cheaper than a season of karting, and it's of higher level.

My dad and I are seriosuly thinking about doing it in the nearby future, all depends if his new business goes well (Outlook looks good!).

Er I think the cost of flights might well ruin the cheapness of that and you also have to drive a pug, urrrrgh.

nick

My step brother works for TAM, and I'm down as his brother so get ultra cheap flights  :smiley:

The pug part DOES suck though. I got a pic of it from the car show I went to earlier in the month, it's not uploaded though, but this is the website

http://www.copapeugeot.com.br/

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 17 November 2010, 20:08 »
Have i done any racing before, sort of when i was younger in a Lancia Beta Coupe, ended in tears when a seized rear caliper proved greater than the sum of my talent and promptly spat me into the wall side on at 60mph exiting St Marys/Lavant corner. Got the pics somewhere, it hit the wall with enough force to stamp the tread patterns of the tyres in the wall  :grin:

I can laugh about it now but it sodding hurt at the time as i dislodged several vertebrae and broke my collar bone.

Making up for lost time

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #24 on: 17 November 2010, 22:06 »
So for cheap motorsport, move to a second world country?

You are outstandingly misguided at times.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 17 November 2010, 22:53 »
Is racing progression is high up on the priority list then i would have thought you'd do well to start in the Caterham Roadsport series.

Making up for lost time

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 09 December 2010, 20:29 »
Got the draft regulation in for this today and it will probably be too much for me to consider this year. A quick look would involve the following work:

6 point roll cage
Fire extinguisher system
Cut out switches
Put standard arb's back on
Get and put standard suspension back on
Get and put standard top mounts on
Replace poly windows with the original glass ones
Re-install window operating mechanisms
Get and fit original wing mirrors
Get and replace lightened flywheel with standard one
Get and replace standard throttle body
Get and replace standard airbox system
Remove brake and airbox cold air feeds.
None of my standard wheels fit into their wheel offset sizes allowed (even though they are original)
Rear seat brackets have been removed from my shell and this isn't allowed.
Some of my flloor bungs have been repaired and this isn't allowed.
Replace drilled and grooved discs with standard ones.
Buy and fit control cams
Buy control tyres
New seat and harness.

Not the end of the world but a backward step in the development of the car.

So for that reason - I'm out  :laugh: (at the moment)

Paul

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #27 on: 10 December 2010, 12:15 »
You could always just buy another MKIII 16v and have 2! It's not like they're expensive at the moment! :grin:

Nick

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 10 December 2010, 16:48 »
Thats actually a good idea! Certainly easier/cheaper than removing and replacing all the stuff that youve already done to yours! :laugh:

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 10 December 2010, 17:10 »
Thats actually a good idea! Certainly easier/cheaper than removing and replacing all the stuff that youve already done to yours! :laugh:
It would certainly make sense, but already owning three cars my wife would probably hack off my nads with a blunt pair of scissors if I turned up with another one at the moment  :angry:

Paul