Author Topic: 1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60 Daily / Project  (Read 29778 times)

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: 1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60 Daily / Project
« Reply #40 on: 31 August 2014, 13:22 »
Windscreen now fitted. Looks great.

Back to the sill....

What a pain rhis has been to get right. Managed to chop a section out a breaker further along the sill. Made things a bit easier.

Then i relised part of the floor section wasn't great as moisture had got in.

Once i'd cut that out I ended up cutting the whole lip off the bottom and welded a new section to the inner sill and then mated both panels to that.

Then the rest was all fabricated and welded up so to get the correct shape where it meets the ottom of the wing. Bit more smoothing off. Some etch primer, seam sealer, stonechip and paint and hopefully it'll look good. It's amazing to think that such a little hole ended up with this much work.

Picked up some cheap second hand coillies.

I could probably be quoted more than once saying i wouldn't go down the cheap coillie route again but my current front ones are properly past their best and making some nasty noises.

Also got one of these from Trimsport for the rear panel.

Still need to refit the interior and a few other wee jobs but hopefully get it mot'd and back on the road next week.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Andy-H

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 31 August 2014, 16:06 »
That looks like you've had an epic task with the sill but at least you know it's all sorted  :smiley:

Windscreen looks great back in  :cool:
'95 Mystic blue Mk3 2.0l 8v - gone
'93 2.0l 16v Corrado - gone (and missed)
'02 A4 Quattro sport - gone
'91 Black 2.1 16v Corrado -gone
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 31 August 2014, 18:20 »
I hope the bodyshop don't have this bother with mine!  I've got 10p sized holes on the leading edge of both sides, and they're doing them along with a few other bits of rust.  I reckon there's far more than people realise that are like this though.  It's not visible with it being under the wing, until it's completely rotted through and too late.  Top job there though dude, wish I had this welding and fabrication skills!  :wink:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

VW BUSH

« Reply #43 on: 31 August 2014, 18:28 »
A 50p holes always seems to be 6 inches of rust on a VW :grin:
Good skills there.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #44 on: 02 September 2014, 20:06 »
Cheers guys.

Definately a corrado problem especially those with crushed sills. Having been in there and looking at the structural design of that area I struggle to see where the strength for jacking comes from. The inner sill bows outwards oppose to straight up vertical. Mine had been pushed up considerably.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #45 on: 04 September 2014, 21:16 »
Got it all built back up today and managed to get it in for a late mot. Passed with only a brake hose and the tyres as advisories.

Need to sort out the ride height, maybe get some other wheels and also get tracking done.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #46 on: 14 September 2014, 20:11 »
I honestly don't know how you drive anywhere with it that height - mine grounds out regularly on the splitter at standard height!
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #47 on: 16 September 2014, 10:49 »
The pictures are quite deceiving with where it's parked, it's not that low at all. Still a good 2 inches of clearance from the front splitter. I can't put it too low or i'll never get it in and out the garage.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #48 on: 20 November 2014, 20:27 »
Not much of an update. Needing four tyres for the rz's but the're badly needing a refurb and I thnk one rim is beyond repair so decided instead to try and find a bargain and picked up these 16" Advanti SG40's with nearly new Dunlops quite cheap.

Not to sure about how they'll look until I get them on but need bolts and spigot rings first.

As for the Corrado itself that's 8500 miles now since the rallye engine went in and it hasn't skipped a beat. Yeah it's using a wee bit of oil and the lambda's still disconnected but still works as it should and have great confidence in it. Rigged up a temporary boost gauge and only making 0.6 bar so not too great for a stage 2 but not bad either. As for recent work i've just replaced the o/s window regulator. Paintworks not standing up too great with spreading laquer peel but will get done at some point. Still heading in the right direction.

My oldman has took on this so garage space is limited for a while until we've finished replacing rot with metal.  :undecided:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #49 on: 05 April 2015, 17:33 »
Hey guys,

Been a wee while since I updated. Not much going on with the G60. Limited funds so can't get the stuff done I want to do.

Recent work was to get rid of the front mounted intercooler, i've nothing against them but it's too wide and the pipework fitted together poorly so off  it came.

Picked up a standard side mount and pipework along with a BBM RSR outlet so I could ditch the silencer box.

All solid now and no boost leaks.

When I was under the front end something caught my eye, it looked like my subframe was cracked just behind the front wishbone mounting. Gave it a wee poke with a screw driver and a big chunk of body filler fell out leaving a gaping rotten hole.

Same thing on the other side.

This sort of bull***t annoys the heck out of me. What kind of person does that at such a load bearing location? A botch by the previos owner no doubt. I've drove 10,000 miles in this since I bought it too, didn't even get picked up during the mot last year. Whoever done it certainly spent some time hiding it.

So on the hunt for a subframe now. Will probably fit new wishbones too as the're not looking to clever either.

Cowboys eh!!

P.S. - I've no idea why one of my previous car pics is now changed to a leather jacket. It's no mine.