Author Topic: What Oil to Use?  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
What Oil to Use?
« on: 01 April 2006, 20:11 »
I have had my Golf GT TDi 130 for about a week now, its not due a service for a while yet but I want to get the information together before its due. The previous owner who had it from new used the fixed 10,000 mile service intervals rather than the variable service interval and I will continue the same way.

I have read before that the PD engine needs a special VW oil but reading the Haynes Manual it says that when using the standard service interval, you can use 'normal' engine oil SAE 5W/40 to 20W/50 (API SG/CD) they claim that it only needs VW long life oil when using the variable service interval.

Anyone know if this is correct - I woudn't want to put the wrong type of oil in, even for topping up.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: What Oil to Use?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2006, 09:24 »
had mine serviced a couple of weeks ago and the dealer stuck in 15/40 mineral oil if thats any help. mines on the fixed service intervals too; don't trust those long life ones!!

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
Re: What Oil to Use?
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2006, 22:19 »
Thanks for that - at least it confirms what Haynes say. I am not keen to stretch the oil change intervals any further than 10,000. Might even do it every 6,000.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130