Author Topic: Lopsided golf?????  (Read 7683 times)

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
Lopsided golf?????
« on: 04 June 2003, 00:13 »
Hi all,

My gti 16v seems to be lopsided. The front near side wheel is sat 3cm higher than the off side wheel.
I replaced the hub but still the problem persists. My next move is to look at the suspension components.
Any ideas????
Also, when i turn right i get a rumbling noise from the front near side, could this be related???
(i have also replaced the cv joints and drive shafts to try and cure the rumbling noise but to no avail)
Any help would be much appreciated.
Tom
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

lee

Re: Lopsided golf?????
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2003, 00:20 »
Hello VWnut

I used to have a mk1 ford fiesta that sat 3 inches lower on one side it was a busted rear shock.It might also be a broken spring ive seen that before (on fords anyway) hope this can be of some help to you.

Lee

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2003, 12:15 »

Hello VWnut

I used to have a mk1 ford fiesta that sat 3 inches lower on one side it was a busted rear shock.It might also be a broken spring ive seen that before (on fords anyway) hope this can be of some help to you.

Lee

Quite common on the VW's and Audi's too. Just found a broken spring on my cabrio......good excuse to buy a set of lowering springs.  ;)
Cabrio now sitting 40mm lower  :)

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2003, 16:41 »
Struts or springs - no idea.

On the struts side, we're completing a similar job on my 16v.

The VW sourced struts are 40quid each. They are Boge pieces and can be sourced at retailers for 10quid cheaper.

I personally would do both sides. It keeps the wear balanced throughout the car. And hey, if one side went - the other side must be in a similar condition.

You  may want to investigate new suspension mounts. See how much play there is in the ball race. This apparently can be an MOT failure - but you'd have to be really unlucky to get such a Nazi testing your car.

Top suspension mounts are 20quid each from VW.

I'll put my money on the wheel bearings for the rumbling noise.

Essentially, when you turn they are falling apart due to the side stresses. But thats a guess.

When sourcing the wheel bearings, make sure you get the right ones. The early 88 parts do not fit late 88 models. Been there, done that.

I would personally replace both wheel bearings. You will probably find that alot of road noise also disappears when you do the change to both.

Regards,
Tin

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2003, 19:34 »
Cheers chaps,

I've just been to german, french and swedish in Reading and bought some boge shocks for 23 quid each, a set of lowering springs, bump stops and top mounts. Hopefully that should do the trick.
As for the rumbling noise on right turns, i will replace the front bearings. Has anybody done this before?
I have replaced the rears but by the looks of things the fronts will be much harder.....
cheers
Tom

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2003, 23:15 »
Yeah I've done them........tricky and certainly not as easy as the rears. The hard part is pressing the old bearing out and pressing the new bearing in. I take them to work and use a hydraulic press. I have seen a garage mech do it with a club hammer but it looked a bit brutal to me.........not confident that bearing will have lasted very long.

Cheers chaps,

I've just been to german, french and swedish in Reading and bought some boge shocks for 23 quid each, a set of lowering springs, bump stops and top mounts. Hopefully that should do the trick.
As for the rumbling noise on right turns, i will replace the front bearings. Has anybody done this before?
I have replaced the rears but by the looks of things the fronts will be much harder.....
cheers
Tom

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2003, 23:33 »
Ok, i might take it to a garage. I saw from an earlier thread that you live in Yateley. Is there anybody that you recommend in that area as i live in Eversley?

GolfVR

« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2003, 00:04 »
I wouldn't recommend buying boge shocks and lowering springs from GSF. They are absolute sh!te and its not just me who has had problems.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2003, 00:15 »
I had the lopsided problem after fitting a BOGE kit from GSF and the quality of the kit was complete pony, I have since got Eibach springs and the car now sits true and rides much better, also had loads of problems with parts from GSF like cam belt tensioners and brake calipers. Its a false economy I think using pattern parts and I always fit original parts now.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2003, 00:15 »
I had the lopsided problem after fitting a BOGE kit from GSF and the quality of the kit was complete pony, I have since got Eibach springs and the car now sits true and rides much better, also had loads of problems with parts from GSF like cam belt tensioners and brake calipers. Its a false economy I think using pattern parts and I always fit original parts now.