Author Topic: 128ti undercuts GTI  (Read 30970 times)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: 128ti undercuts GTI
« Reply #190 on: 20 December 2020, 21:26 »
I didn't wait to make the choice based on a test drive - effectively I figured both would be 'great' grown up hot hatches and the deciding factor for me was really the interior / quality followed by finance.  Both cars specced to have what I wanted the BMW was still cheaper when discount was factored in.  To be fair I didn't push a discount on the golf as I'd made my mind up  quickly so like as not there would only be a couple of quid in it either way. 

This is the first BMW I've owned, my first car was a mk4 GTI and I've had every mark of golf since plus a few hot Audi's.  Still have a 7' GTD.  I haven't driven an 8' GTI but I'm willing to bet it feels familiar but sharper to a 7.  The BMW will feel quite unfamiliar.  The brakes aren't servod as much as VAG cars typically are and there is a good deal more feedback from the steering than I'm previously used to.  This can either be very positive or a bit unnerving when you're not used to the steering telling you what is doing. 

If you do manage to get a test drive, make sure to take it to your backroad of choice.  I find the way it corners and pulls itself out of them astonishing.  I'd check the tyre pressures - BMW seem to like over inflating them...

The good news is, I don't think you'll be able to make a bad choice. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #191 on: 20 December 2020, 21:43 »
Interesting. It doesn't look like I'll see a test drive until January, which is frustrating.

Again with the BMW not having the kit i want as options and it seems any dealer stock ordered with options I definitely don't want, I'm not convinced the test drive is even going to be indicative of what I'm interested in discovering. But we'll see.

I did like the m135i a lot but the bits that made that feel good i know are not to be found on the 128ti....the power, the pops and bangs, the sure footed nature and probably least obvious but important to me.. The m sport seats.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #192 on: 20 December 2020, 22:36 »
I’m not sure what the BMW lacks that the 8 GTI has? Some actual useful stuff or superfluous electronics?
As a hot hatch and driver’s car the BMW has things like under bonnet and under floor chassis bracing as standard meaning it feels much more solid on crappy British roads than any mk7 I’ve driven (and those that know me know!) along with an interior solidity that feels leagues ahead. Compared to a cost stripped mk8 I dread to think! We shall see...
And I’m not saying the BMW has no cheaper looking bits, it does but the bits used on the bigger more expensive cars that it shares are evidently better quality than the VW equivalent. That kind of fits in with the respective hierarchy where the 1 is the bottom tier of the brand and the Golf sits far further up the VW tree.
Having metal inserts in the loading lip of the boot, the better quality carpets and switchgear (a volume knob with a rotating bezel so the on/off logo stays the right way up 🎉), hydraulic bonnet struts and hidden key slots even...
The BMW AID is nowhere near as clear as the VW offerings but the side screen feels more expensive. iMac next to Inspirion. Plus the BMW software is iMac quick too.
Interior gripes on the new 1 series for me are merely a lack of indication of what gear you’re in which can often be irrelevant as the thing has so much torque plus the slightly odd speedo and Rev counter which to be honest I rarely look at having HUD.

What is annoying some days is the dashboard reflection on the screen at times.

I’m not suggesting anyone rushes out to buy a 128ti over a GTI either. VW’s forte is the Golf, its future forte will be called an ID or something and that’s where VW’s eyes are set right now. BMW have done a bloody good job of making a Golf rival but it’s still not a GTI.
135 vs R? Dunno yet. Depends if you’re a drift mode wannabe which seems rather odd as the 135 feels like a fast FWD hatch that has rear wheel assistance and the VW has become tail happy(?)
Role reversal!  :grin:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #193 on: 20 December 2020, 22:49 »
Interesting. It doesn't look like I'll see a test drive until January, which is frustrating.

Again with the BMW not having the kit i want as options and it seems any dealer stock ordered with options I definitely don't want, I'm not convinced the test drive is even going to be indicative of what I'm interested in discovering. But we'll see.

I did like the m135i a lot but the bits that made that feel good i know are not to be found on the 128ti....the power, the pops and bangs, the sure footed nature and probably least obvious but important to me.. The m sport seats.

They could have done better with the seats - they're not bad, very comfortable actually, but they don't look as good as GTI seats.

I've never driven a 135 so can't compare but the 128 has power and character in spades.  With the engine and gear box in sports it feels like an excited puppy pulling on the leash  - lets go and have some fun.  With everything in comfort it still feels lively but much more mature. 

Like I said I can't imagine you would regret either choice, both great cars.  However I'm kindov wondering if you've already made your choice and its a lingering FOMO that stopping you pushing the button on the golf?
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #194 on: 20 December 2020, 22:56 »
The BMW AID is nowhere near as clear as the VW offerings but the side screen feels more expensive. iMac next to Inspirion. Plus the BMW software is iMac quick too.
Interior gripes on the new 1 series for me are merely a lack of indication of what gear you’re in which can often be irrelevant as the thing has so much torque plus the slightly odd speedo and Rev counter which to be honest I rarely look at having HUD.

The main reason I opted for the full digital dash for mine was to get the bigger infotainment screen.  Quite agree the resolution is fantastic.  The actual speedo cluster isn't as good as VAG but its not a disaster either.  Quickly get used to the wrong way round rev counter. 

The tech in general is very well integrated, I like how you can assign things like the heated seats and steering wheel to come on automatically when its below a certain temperature.  Compared to the Audi experience of trying to pair the car to an app its just so much easier.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #195 on: 20 December 2020, 23:18 »
I'm a big fan of automation tech, i know its not everyone's cup of tea in the hot hatch game but I was super impressed with the mk8 acc and have high hopes of the car2x in the lifetime of my next car.

This and whether the BMW is comfortable are the key decision points for me. The mk8 was quick enough for me and definitely comfortable enough. I am genuinely keen to discover the outcome of my analysis.

I'm sure others will find things they focus on, probably the clubby answers some of those but that's not me.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #196 on: 20 December 2020, 23:31 »
I like how you can assign things like the heated seats and steering wheel to come on automatically when its below a certain temperature.  Compared to the Audi experience of trying to pair the car to an app its just so much easier.
Flip me, I had no idea you could program that! I’m too used to utilitarian VW’s so didn’t even look for features like that!!
I’ve been suffering a cold arse at 4:30am all autumn and winter on my leather seats whilst I flick the switch manually  :grin:
Where did I put the manual... ?

probably the clubby answers some of those but that's not me.
The Clubby answers all questions  :grin:
It’s not a tail happy £43k drift king that’s going to attract some utter knobs and it’s not a special edition that needs to live in the garage to preserve its value to anoraks, oh and it offsets the need to remap a normal GTI...  :whistle:
Just a shame it doesn’t have the Renaultsport fog lights as my commute is along the coast and it’s often misty.

Although I’m a philistine I do really appreciate your knowledge and enthusiasm for in car tech (along with a few others) as it’s taught me a lot :afro:
« Last Edit: 20 December 2020, 23:33 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #197 on: 21 December 2020, 10:57 »
I like how you can assign things like the heated seats and steering wheel to come on automatically when its below a certain temperature.  Compared to the Audi experience of trying to pair the car to an app its just so much easier.
Flip me, I had no idea you could program that! I’m too used to utilitarian VW’s so didn’t even look for features like that!!
I’ve been suffering a cold arse at 4:30am all autumn and winter on my leather seats whilst I flick the switch manually  :grin:
Where did I put the manual... ?

probably the clubby answers some of those but that's not me.
The Clubby answers all questions  :grin:
It’s not a tail happy £43k drift king that’s going to attract some utter knobs and it’s not a special edition that needs to live in the garage to preserve its value to anoraks, oh and it offsets the need to remap a normal GTI...  :whistle:
Just a shame it doesn’t have the Renaultsport fog lights as my commute is along the coast and it’s often misty.

Although I’m a philistine I do really appreciate your knowledge and enthusiasm for in car tech (along with a few others) as it’s taught me a lot :afro:

Just set mine up the other day - seats to come under 3 degrees although I may change this as needed it on this am and it was 5.5 degrees! This should work also with my pre-warm function when I can finally charge again!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #198 on: 24 December 2020, 14:23 »
I've got  the seats and steering wheel heating coming on under 8 degrees.
I reckoned it was easier to switch it off than waste a few minutes forgetting to switch it on  :grin:

Certainly a great feature and warms up those leather seats nicely.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #199 on: 30 December 2020, 11:45 »
I wanted my wife to change her A3 to a Golf. However, she test drove an A3 saloon and really liked it. Then we discovered that the lower powered cars are still using the same DQ200 DSG/Stronic gear box. My wife then decided that she didn't want an A3 or a Golf with that gearbox. I suggested extending the warranty or buying a more powerful car with a different model gearbox... not interested!

Then I discovered the new BMW 2 series. At first I was not sure about the look of the car. When we were driving about, I pointed out a few 1/2 series cars to my wife. She liked them. Test drove a M218i and ordered one the next day.

Exterior looks aside, we were both impressed with the BMW interior. It just looked more premium inside than the other cars we considered buying.

Good to know that BMW heated seats can be set to come on automatically. She'll love that feature. :cool:

« Last Edit: 30 December 2020, 13:17 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS