Author Topic: DCC system, is it a must have on the MK8?  (Read 14124 times)

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
  • Auto professional & lover
DCC system, is it a must have on the MK8?
« on: 16 January 2021, 10:59 »
Hello everyone. I was lurking on this forum while I made up my mind about buying the MK8 GTI vs. other options

Question is about the Dynamic Chassis Control because here it's impossible to test a car with and one without. It's barely possible to test the car period🤣.

I'm wondering if it's a must have feature. When I was considering the Octavia RS, everyone said so because the standard car's setup wasn't good. But in GTI world, response is more mixed: probably, the GTI is more well-sorted as standard.

Is it more about comfort of handling?

If it's a comfort thing... Considering that roads are pretty good in northern Italy, I will have 18-inch wheels and that I come from a Mini Cooper S :grin:, is it a must have?

If it's about handling, how much does it improve the enjoyement factor?
Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: DCC system, is it a must have on the MK8?
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2021, 11:19 »
Good topic! Be interesting to see what others thoughts are. I’ve always had gti/R on 19s without dcc but I suspect the Mk8 needs it.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2021, 11:20 »
The mk8 gti without dcc still has two settings for the suspension.

I've driven one on eighteens without dcc over sh!tty British roads. Not harsh at all even set in the sport suspension mode. It's very good.

I've not driven one with dcc but have ordered it on my car with nineteens.

I had dcc on my old mk7 gtd. It can make the car softer a lot. Wallowy even.

The mk8 dcc is different and more clever.

How clever? No idea.

The mk8 without dcc is nothing like as hard as a Cooper S. We have a f56 Cooper and a r58 Cooper S. Both are very hard compared to the mk8 gti without dcc.

Does that help?

Ps yes Italian roads are a bit crap, just like British ones!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2021, 11:46 »

Ps yes Italian roads are a bit crap, just like British ones!

Yep depends on what you compare
If I compare ours to southern Italian ones, they are pretty great:grin:

BTW really useful! Look forward to more advice
Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2021, 11:48 »
Yes I normally drive in the South of Italy.

(I miss Italy so much  :sad:)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2021, 11:59 »
I’ve never had DCC. My MK7 PP was on 19s and I never found it particularly harsh. My clubsport doesn’t have it and in my opinion it rides really well. Certainly no harsher than the MK7

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2021, 12:10 »
I seem to recall that in one Mk8 GTI review, the reviewer got some feedback from VW about the standard non-DCC set up, ie that 2 suspension settings (comfort and sport I think) didn't actually change anything. It is just something in the software that couldn't be removed (or that VW couldn't be bothered to remove).

I've not heard that anyway else but it does tie up with the Volkswizard review where AC didn't notice much if any difference between the two settings.

Offline Powerman80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2021, 12:13 »
I seem to recall that in one Mk8 GTI review, the reviewer got some feedback from VW about the standard non-DCC set up, ie that 2 suspension settings (comfort and sport I think) didn't actually change anything. It is just something in the software that couldn't be removed (or that VW couldn't be bothered to remove).

I've not heard that anyway else but it does tie up with the Volkswizard review where AC didn't notice much if any difference between the two settings.

If the dampers are passive there is no way you can change something, but maybe it works on the steering and throttle response setting.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2021, 12:15 by Powerman80 »
Marco
=============
Hello from Milan Italy

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2021, 12:23 »
Whether DCC is a must have on the Mk8 will be a matter of personal opinion.  Just as it was on the mk7/7.5.

But IMO, if you can afford DCC, don't hesitate. I cannot see a circumstance where you would regret it.  DCC gives the car so much more versatility.  Whether that's passenger preferences (as in my household) or road conditions.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2021, 12:44 »
That is a MUST option!, no brainer!. Sorry!  :whistle:

And that is a cheap option aswell!!.. if you compare with Panorama e.g...

If you tried DCC you never go back! And the New 10 sep on the Mk8 seems even better!

Even softer and Harder!.. Perfect!!  :smiley:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/