Author Topic: Aftermarket Wheels  (Read 5615 times)

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
Aftermarket Wheels
« on: 12 January 2021, 12:59 »
Hi all,
Im struggling to find companies listing for Golf 8, im thinking (hoping) that this is just because they are relatively new model.
I even looked at BBS being a big company and having that association with VW but no, even they state that no wheels are available....
That's not right surely, has anyone else found this or indeed fund a supplier that does stock

MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Aftermarket Wheels
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2021, 13:24 »
Rtecshop.co.uk and Racingline.com are showing wheels for the Golf 8,

https://www.rtecshop.co.uk/wheel_results.php?manufacturer=84&chassis=8158&brand=&width=&diameter=19&colour=

https://www.racingline.com/golf-8-categories

On Rtecshop.com you can filter the results for the Golf 8 by wheel brand.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2021, 13:39 »
Being as the 8 is basically a rounded off 7 most mk7 wheels will fit.
However having spent a bit of time freezing myself outside with a tape measure I reckon the sides of the mk8 may have been shaved a little (another clue here being the horrid arch spats fitted when factory 19’s are specced) so go cautious on the offset.

With the mk7 using an 8” wide wheel you could go ET40 on the front and around ET35 on the rear.
I reckon ET45 front for the mk8 and maybe ET40 rear. More experimentation needed when it warms up a bit.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2021, 14:15 »
According to VW UK, this accessory wheel will fit a Mk8:

https://oemvag.es/gb/inicio/1442-twinspoke-alloy-wheel-75j-x-19-black-gloss-machined-5g0071499fzz.html

Offset is 51, although these 19's are only 7.5j.

Don't know if that helps.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2021, 14:21 »
car has 19" on at present and i understand that they are ET50 BUT Rimstlye have said that a ET45 wheel would be fine - im skeptical!!
Mainly because i dont really know what ET means but there must be a difference between 45 and 50 or they wouldnt list it!!
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2021, 14:31 »
car has 19" on at present and i understand that they are ET50 BUT Rimstlye have said that a ET45 wheel would be fine - im skeptical!!
Mainly because i dont really know what ET means but there must be a difference between 45 and 50 or they wouldnt list it!!

https://www.performancealloys.com/alloy-wheels-offset
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2021, 14:35 »
These guys list wheels for a Mk8 Golf and this one is a 19" 8J:

https://alloywheels.com/product/view/48739/2599/set-of-8.0x19%22-targa-tg4-sparkle-silver

I'm not suggesting the wheel itself, but the offset is given as ET44, which should give you an idea of what might fit.

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2021, 14:39 »
its a minefield!!!
I really like these but it says the offset on these are 40  :rolleyes: FFS

https://www.rtecshop.co.uk/wheel_detail_page.php?chassis=8158&wheel=108058

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2021, 16:13 »
Be a bit wary of what some UK alloy wheel resellers recommend right now.
With CV-19 TUV tests will have been scaled back along with everything else in the world of alloy wheel production, design, logistics etc etc.

A site such as felgenoutlet.de will have properly approved sizes for use on the German market which is the best guide you can get.
It’s early days with modifying mk8’s and Covid has thrown massive spanners in the works all round (stating the patently obvious).

I severely doubt whether some of even the most established UK wheel resellers will have even clapped eyes on a mk8 Golf Clubsport yet so wouldn’t be able to absolutely guarantee that the inside of the spokes would clear the brake callipers in certain offsets or whether wheel balance weights situated in the middle of say an 18” wheel would have enough clearance of those callipers either.

Until more people have physically attempted fitment or TUV publish results it’s all educated guesswork.
I’ll stick my neck out and say that anything that will fit a mk7.5 TCR will fit a mk8 Clubsport and anything that fits a 7.5 Performance will easily fit a mk8 245.

It’ll be a while before I fit my own 19”ers as I need tyres and in the spirit of lockdown it’s not right to drive miles to get them fitted (once I’ve decided what I’m buying rubber wise) whilst I have another car at my disposal for commuting.

In simple terms, the higher the number offset the more it’ll sit into the arch. But an offset of 45mm on a 7.5” wheel will obviously sit quite a bit further in than a 45mm offset on an 8 or 8.5” wheel.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2021, 16:13 »
Lower offset just means the outer edge of the wheel will sit further out towards the edge of the arches. A higher offset will pull the wheel back in under the arch. This needs to be considered alongside the width of the wheel, as if the outside of the wheel sits too far out it's an MOT fail. That's why you have the black plastic doodahs sticking out of the underside of the wheel arch. Because 8J width coupled with too low an offset presumably puts it on the limit.

Use this calculator to get some ideas of what difference various options make

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=235&aspect=35&diameter=19&wheelwidth=8&offset=51&width2=225&aspect2=35&wheel_size=19&wheel_width=7-5&offset2=49

7.5 GTD