Author Topic: carplay location issues  (Read 1317 times)

Offline skye2020

• Just got here
carplay location issues
« on: 11 January 2021, 13:17 »
Hi I have a mk8 eTSI and I'm having an issue with the apple carplay location in google maps.

My phone is connected to the car (wirelessly, not via a cable) and the apps show up on the screen, i can program in a destination and it appears on the screen. Problem is when I start driving the location doesn't update. I can drive around London for hours and the position doesn't change. The same issue affects the built in VW satnav app as well.

A couple of times the location has suddenly updated, and it starts working as normal - one time this was at an M25 junction, another time it was on an A road in east london.

Have tried VW support and they say take it to a dealership, but that feels like overkill for what seems like a simple software issue. Has anyone come across this issue?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: carplay location issues
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2021, 14:18 »
Ok, lets try to simplify the issue.

VW sat nav doesn't seem to show you having moved? On the map it never moves at all?

Where does it show you located?

That sounds like a GPS receiver issue.

Concentrate on that.

Also, CarPlay when running wirelessly uses your car's GPS receiver, not your phones. If you plug the phone in with a cable instead, does your CarPlay nav application work correctly?

But as I say, I'd focus on the VW system not getting a GPS signal. That's a dealer job, probably faulty aerial or receiver module.

« Last Edit: 11 January 2021, 15:05 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: carplay location issues
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2021, 18:18 »
I've seen on another forum today that this issue is a combination of the infotainment system needing a software upgrade and or it needing a new redesigned replacement antenna.

Sounds like there is a a documented issue and vw are aware.

Just thought I'd loop back and tell you...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC