Author Topic: Can someone explain S-PIN?  (Read 3219 times)

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
Can someone explain S-PIN?
« on: 08 January 2021, 18:44 »
Lockdown handover meant I didn’t get the opportunity for a run through of any functionality. Can someone explain S-PIN? If you have it on, do you have to punch the pin in each time you get in the car, or is it just sometimes? I assumed once you were recognised and set up as the primary user, that would be it.

If you disable it, you get warned every time you leave the car

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Can someone explain S-PIN?
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2021, 19:27 »
What does the manual say?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2021, 19:31 »
A quick Google says it's to do with your we connect account and you have to enter it to access security related services. What that means I don't know.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2021, 20:18 »
Lockdown handover meant I didn’t get the opportunity for a run through of any functionality. Can someone explain S-PIN? If you have it on, do you have to punch the pin in each time you get in the car, or is it just sometimes? I assumed once you were recognised and set up as the primary user, that would be it.

If you disable it, you get warned every time you leave the car

I have we connect on my 7.5 GTi.  And I  went through the VWID process so I can use the remote features that we connect offers.  I assume it is the same or very similar on the mk8? On mine, there is certainly nothing that you have to enter in the vehicle and it does not give you any warning messages in the car. From memory, You may need to use it when you want to activate things like remote unlocking or sounding the horn et cetera within the we connect app. I have tried the remote unlocking just to make sure it works and it does but I cannot remember for sure whether I had to put in my s-pin  or not!
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline McCrae1971

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2021, 22:54 »
Once you have set up the we connect and user access your asked for the PIN number each time however there’s an option to remember it. From memory I was entering the pin for a couple of days then spotted the option to store it. Not had to enter it since but you might if purchasing or activating certain function.

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2021, 10:14 »
Once you have set up the we connect and user access your asked for the PIN number each time however there’s an option to remember it. From memory I was entering the pin for a couple of days then spotted the option to store it. Not had to enter it since but you might if purchasing or activating certain function.
Above is probably the correct explanation  :smiley:
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2021, 10:16 »
Above is probably the correct explanation  :smiley:
I must have selected option to store it as I do not remember being asked for it!

Offline Tricky tree

• Not said much yet
  • Golf Gti DSG, dolphin grey.
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2021, 15:42 »
I’ve set it up, saved the 4 digit PIN and get a message telling me my data is unsecured and I should protect it by setting up a PIN. See my post about software issues!

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2021, 15:46 »
What settings have you ticked under the user section,you can pick between 4 different settings for privacy

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2021, 21:47 »
I’ve set it up, saved the 4 digit PIN and get a message telling me my data is unsecured and I should protect it by setting up a PIN. See my post about software issues!

Yes, exactly this. If you tick the ‘save’ button when logging in, all it seems to do is disable a-pin in settings