Author Topic: Discover pro navigation  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
Discover pro navigation
« on: 07 December 2020, 22:42 »
Is it worth it?  Are all these things not included with the standard set up?

6 Speakers, front and rear

App-Connect

Digital radio reception (DAB)

Dynamic road sign display

Multifunction camera for distance control

Radio

Voice activation, spoken voice commands for telephone and navigation system

Discover Navigation Pro system including Streaming & Internet

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Discover pro navigation
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2020, 23:18 »
It's unclear as usual as to what exactly it gives you.

Possibly the system is faster and smoother than the basic one, possibly it gives you maps on both the mib unit and the dash at the same time... Those two things were the difference on the mk7.5.

Streaming and media might be the thing? But what that means is anyone's guess.

I'd certainly be reluctant to drop money on it again without knowing.

One thing I can say for sure, it's not going to make any difference to audio quality (it never did) and in the case of the mk8 it won't mean a different bigger screen either.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2020, 06:59 »
Is it worth it?  Are all these things not included with the standard set up?

6 Speakers, front and rear

App-Connect

Digital radio reception (DAB)

Dynamic road sign display

Multifunction camera for distance control

Radio

Voice activation, spoken voice commands for telephone and navigation system

Discover Navigation Pro system including Streaming & Internet

The option that comes with the PRO is wrong!

The only thing you get with the PRO is!

10" instead of a 8" and you can the the map in the front of you!  :smiley:

My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2020, 11:19 »
AFAIK the Discover Pro has voice control and the standard system doesn't unless you are using the voice control built in to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. 🤷‍♂️
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2020, 11:25 »
Yes it should have voice control.... on the Mk7 and 7.5 navpro gave you voice control.... but it was also available as an option without navpro.

I've yet to see what things VW will sell you online through the touchscreen.... I wouldn't mind betting voice control is one of them.

The other thing you used to get with NavPro was "3d maps"... not really 3d but you got shading for hills and buildings etc and some major landmarks are shown as little pictures - eg Stonehenge. Probably works better in cities but I try to avoid cities!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2020, 12:07 »
It is on page 23 of the latest brochure

02  Voice activated control  allows  you  to manage a  whole range of  functions  with  your  voice. Select  your  favourite radio stations, make a hands-free call, change  the navigation route easily  and quickly, or  you can even adjust  the 3Zone electronic air  conditioning. Optional on all models as part of  the Discover  Navigation Pro  touch-screen navigation infotainment system.

It may be possible to download voice control via the We Connect Plus portal, but there is quite a bit of overlap between the standard Discover Nav and what are listed as extra features for the Nav Pro. The standard system also lists a 2D/3D view for maps.

I guess the only way we're going to know for sure what the differences are is if someone orders it. Apparently very early (non-performance) Mk8's got the Nav Pro as a 'free' upgrade.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2020, 12:25 »
Its got to be the "streaming and internet" thing then hasn't it?

Maybe it has some sort of music streaming thing as an app and uses the built in e-sim to connect?

BMW has "BMW Music" that is a service delivered like that - paid for of course. Quite why you'd choose that over one of the common streaming services I don't know though.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2020, 13:25 »
Does anyone know if the standard Discover Nav has gesture control on the Mk8?

It's not listed as a standard feature, but is mentioned under Nav Pro functionality  :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2020, 13:42 »
I'd hope they had abandoned that garbage.

It took me about 2 days to figure out what was making my MIB unit weird, then realised it was gesture control.... turned it off, never looked back

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2020, 09:12 »
Ok, as I believe this is the definitive answer, I thought I'd post this here so people can find it easily:

"The Discover Navigation Pro system includes additional equipment such as natural voice control, media and streaming services direct to the car, gesture control, and dual map display on the infotainment and digital cockpit pro"

Media and streaming is definitely a basic nav function - I've seen it.

Gesture control - yes, like my current Mk7.5 NavPro gesture control - utterly f***ing worthless crap. I turned it off in days of having it because it makes the music skip all over.

Voice control - the basic nav has it for the Stereo and the Nav inputs, Navpro seems to add more so you can control the aircon with it, maybe some more things?? If such a thing is what you want?

Dual Map - ok, so this is the same as with the Mk7.5. That does suggest that like with the Mk7.5 you CAN get the map on the AID...somehow. Although to be fair, I was going to order the HUD, which makes that probably worthless anyway as the main purpose of having the map on the AID is to give the driver some in-view sat nav directions. HUD is 600 quid. NavPro is 1600.

I *suspect* there probably is more to it than this in that the interface has some different options and the whole unit is a little more responsive being a higher powered processor.

And just another thing "Digital Cockpit Pro" is standard on ALL UK Golfs - this refers to the screen behind the steering wheel where the clocks are (known as AID). Also, NavPro does not make the entertainment screen bigger like it did on the Mk7/7.5. Don't order it imagining you are going to get any visible uplift. It also doesn't improve the audio quality - you need the Harmon Kardon option for better audio, not NavPro.

Anyway, wanted this topic to be definitive for others.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2020, 09:13 by fredgroves »