Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529747 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Dan-White-GTI

• Just got here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #341 on: 08 March 2016, 22:02 »
I use poor boys and I am always impressed with the finish.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #342 on: 08 March 2016, 22:41 »
I use poor boys and I am always impressed with the finish.

Ex-P is excellent stuff - my goto sealant still.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #343 on: 09 March 2016, 14:04 »
Do you use the EX-P sealant first followed by wax or similar ?
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #344 on: 09 March 2016, 15:07 »
Do you use the EX-P sealant first followed by wax or similar ?

I do, but that's in a traditional' setup.  Polish - Seal (Ex-P) - Wax

If you are considering going down the route of something like nano or polymer sealants such as Gtechniq C2v3 or Sonax BSD, or similar, as your last stage protection then this is usually best applied to clean bare paint and/or used in conjunction with other products within the same systems, so you probably don't want to apply those things over something like Ex-P as you will likely not get the benefit of the Ex-P or the other sealants to their greatest effect.  Course there are no hard and fast rules so can try anything you want.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #345 on: 12 March 2016, 16:57 »
I decided to give my wife's car a good clean this morning in order to give some of my recents purchases a trial run before I pick my new car up on Monday.
Thought I'd share my thoughts on a few of them.

Nilfisk P150 pressure washer is excellent, easy to set up and use and very powerful.

Autobrite snow foam lance is brilliant and should last a long time

Ph neutral snow foam is excellent.

Wowo lambswool wash mitt is good but I find them fiddly to use and may buy a merino wool wash pad instead.

Wowo wheel mitt was working great until I took it off to take a phone call. When I tried to put it back on, the elasticated cuff tore away from the rest of the mitt. Not impressed at all especially as this was its first use. It lasted less than 5 minutes!!

Wheel Woolies seem decent although the shafts bend alarmingly during use. Criminally expensive for what they are.

Looking forward to many happy hours of car cleaning come Monday.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2016, 11:58 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #346 on: 12 March 2016, 17:31 »
I decided to give my wife's car a good clean this morning in order to give some of my recents purchases a trial run before I pick my new car up on Monday.

Nilfisk P150 pressure washer is excellent, easy to set up and use and very powerful.

Wowo lambswool wash mitt is good but I find them fiddly to use and may buy a merino wool wash pad instead.

Wowo wheel mitt was working great until I took it off to take a phone call. When I tried to put it back on, the elasticated cuff tore away from the rest of the mitt. Not impressed at all especially as this was its first use. It lasted less than 5 minutes!!

Hi Kalimon

Sorry to hear about the wheel mitt, please email our customer service team and they will arrange a replacement be sent out on Monday. info@wo-wo.co.uk

They'll need you're address and order number if you can find it.

Sorry again, Neil.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #347 on: 12 March 2016, 17:52 »

Hi Kalimon

Sorry to hear about the wheel mitt, please email our customer service team and they will arrange a replacement be sent out on Monday. info@wo-wo.co.uk

They'll need you're address and order number if you can find it.

Sorry again, Neil.

Thanks Neil.
Hopefully it was just a faulty one.

Andy
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #348 on: 12 March 2016, 18:31 »
My Wo-Wo wheel mitt has seen plenty of abuse with no issues at all so probably just as you say, one dodgy one. Customer service though, spot on!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #349 on: 12 March 2016, 22:07 »
Not been on here for a few weeks as I've had quite a lot going on, including a 500 mle round trip back down to yorkshire, however, it hasn't stopped me keeping the car relatively clean!
As I needed more snow foam, I have bought a few new products as well from CYC recently so have been giving them a try:

Dodo Juice Orange Plush Drying towel
Poorboys SSR 2.5
Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick detailer

Also bought another scratch shield for my wheel bucket, and 5ltr valet pro advanced snow foam.

Last weekend on Saturday I gave the car a full wash (snow foam, wheels 2 bucket wash) and dry. Apologies to Neil and the wo-wo people, but the new towel I got is superior to the wo-wo one in both size and amount of water it soaks up. Have been struggling to dry the whole car with the wo-wo towel, but with the dodo juice one its no problem! The wo-wo towel is great for quick detailer though and still love the wo-wo alloy towel.

On Monday and Tuesday I took all the wheels off 1 by 1 and polished them using poorboys ssr 2.5, paying particular attention to the mirror finish parts, and then applied gtechniq C5 wheel armour. Took me about 2hrs per wheel as there were quite a few small scratches not visible unless up close. I was very pleased as I managed to make the big scratch (see pic below) all but dissapear using ssr 2.5 and a lot of elbow grease - thanks again to Rebecca for advising I might get this out by hand. I managed to get most of the other noticable scratches out. However, my arm and shoulder was knackerd after finishing on tuesday, so if I ever have to do more polishing, I will have to invest in a DA.

On wednesday I tried out the quick detailer and was pretty amazed at the results. I chose that one because it had good reviews and also said it works particularly well on red (and black) cars, and can be used in direct sunlight.

Some before pics and duing wheel cleaning. Didn't take any after pics as the car was spotless when I'd done, and also ran out of time.

dirty sides... back was even worse!

Put the spare on as I don't have axle stands just incase something happened to the jack...

cleaned each wheel with VP bilberry wheel cleaner before polishing and applying C5.

The scratch is gone! :smile:

A good bit of beading the morning after using the quick detailer...
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000