Author Topic: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?  (Read 9223 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?
« Reply #30 on: 17 September 2020, 20:32 »
About 27k for an N fastback at the moment. Which makes it at least six grand less than the others i looked at. Sure the residuals are worse in terms of pound notes but the loss of value is actually less than the others plus servicing is waay cheaper.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 17 September 2020, 21:03 »
VW Golf GTi Mk 7.5 Dimensions (from brochure)

Length 4,268mm
Height 1,482mm (max)
Width 1,799mm (excluding mirrors)
Width 2,027mm (including mirrors)
Wheelbase 2,626mm

VW Golf GTi Mk8 Dimensions (from German configurator)

Length 4,287mm
Height 1,478mm (max)
Width 1,789mm (excluding mirrors)
Wheelbase 2,627mm

Meaning the Mk8 actually sits 4mm lower than the Mk7.5. Although oddly, Mk7 is stated at 1,442mm height in the brochure.
7.5 GTD

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 17 September 2020, 21:33 »
I think i30N has always had adaptive suspension but I know the earlier models were criticised for firm suspension settings.

When the Fastback came out they soft3n it up and these suspension settings were also passed across to the i30N hatchback, coming in this year according to reviews.

£480 is absolutely mad especially if you were paying £280 for your S3. Watched a car wow drag race today...didn’t learn anything useful other than the chap who bought his i30N along had bought it through Carwow dealer for £21,000. I think things have changed a lot now as seen some other low prices for i30N

Wow! £21000 is nothing for the i30N. Things must definitely have changed. At the time I asked the salesman how many they’d sold. He said none. He told it was because of brand snobs. I said it was probably due to the fact I could buy a VAG hatch far cheaper.

The i30N did make a lasting impression on me though and is always on my list.

I popped into Hyundai dealer before lockdown just to see if they had one in showroom ( they didn’t) but salesman was very bullish saying they are selling well and lots of VWs being traded in.

I had a quick look at how many left. Apparently around 2,000 registered in UK. So still fairly Niche but all the reviews praise it even if it doesn't win that particular test. Think the following is growing.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 17 September 2020, 21:37 »
VW Golf GTi Mk 7.5 Dimensions (from brochure)

Length 4,268mm
Height 1,482mm (max)
Width 1,799mm (excluding mirrors)
Width 2,027mm (including mirrors)
Wheelbase 2,626mm

VW Golf GTi Mk8 Dimensions (from German configurator)

Length 4,287mm
Height 1,478mm (max)
Width 1,789mm (excluding mirrors)
Wheelbase 2,627mm

Meaning the Mk8 actually sits 4mm lower than the Mk7.5. Although oddly, Mk7 is stated at 1,442mm height in the brochure.

Thanks Guzzle.  But that is weird with height difference between mk7 and Mk8 7.5 in VW brochures. Do we put that down to the curse of VW Marketing material.

I was looking at height for Golf R and saw 1465mm but then somewhere else stated 1436mm so rather mixed up.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2020, 22:09 by AndyGTI »
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 18 September 2020, 08:30 »
I think i30N has always had adaptive suspension but I know the earlier models were criticised for firm suspension settings.

When the Fastback came out they soft3n it up and these suspension settings were also passed across to the i30N hatchback, coming in this year according to reviews.

£480 is absolutely mad especially if you were paying £280 for your S3. Watched a car wow drag race today...didn’t learn anything useful other than the chap who bought his i30N along had bought it through Carwow dealer for £21,000. I think things have changed a lot now as seen some other low prices for i30N

Wow! £21000 is nothing for the i30N. Things must definitely have changed. At the time I asked the salesman how many they’d sold. He said none. He told it was because of brand snobs. I said it was probably due to the fact I could buy a VAG hatch far cheaper.

The i30N did make a lasting impression on me though and is always on my list.

I popped into Hyundai dealer before lockdown just to see if they had one in showroom ( they didn’t) but salesman was very bullish saying they are selling well and lots of VWs being traded in.

I had a quick look at how many left. Apparently around 2,000 registered in UK. So still fairly Niche but all the reviews praise it even if it doesn't win that particular test. Think the following is growing.
one of the issues with the i30n is the high fuel consumption compared to other comparible models from VW and Audi etc and the fact it's 278 bhp but the VW's have a higher torque. A guy I spoke to at the petrol station who had the hatchback i30n said on a good day he can scrape 25mpg but it's usually around the 18 to 20 mark.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 18 September 2020, 16:55 »
I had a similar chat with someone about that. Over 20mpg was a bonus I was told. Gulp.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 18 September 2020, 17:12 »
I had a similar chat with someone about that. Over 20mpg was a bonus I was told. Gulp.

Take it with a pinch of salt though.... we have GTD owners on here who can't get 30mpg out of their oil burners...

I've yet to try an N, but will report back when i do. I'll be trying some different driving modes.... "nun"..."Fred goes to work" and "The Stig goes full attack".

When I drove the M135i the dealer who had it as their own company car said "i only get 25mpg" and I managed 42mpg at my normal "brisk but not nuts" driving style. (before having a go at "warp factor 10 Mr Sulu").

Very much its down to how much you are used to coming off of the throttle.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 18 September 2020, 17:28 »

Take it with a pinch of salt though.... we have GTD owners on here who can't get 30mpg out of their oil burners...

I've yet to try an N, but will report back when i do. I'll be trying some different driving modes.... "nun"..."Fred goes to work" and "The Stig goes full attack".

When I drove the M135i the dealer who had it as their own company car said "i only get 25mpg" and I managed 42mpg at my normal "brisk but not nuts" driving style. (before having a go at "warp factor 10 Mr Sulu").

Very much its down to how much you are used to coming off of the throttle.

Now that is very true Fred. For example I got 43mpg out of the R on the way to work this morning!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 18 September 2020, 17:42 »
I’ve never really looked at the i30n but I did today ( at the outgoing model ). You can only spec paint, everything else is standard so the kit of pretty comprehensive

A friend has one and has not had a single issue. I wish my VW had been like that

Also, they are held as UK central stock and lead time is two weeks. Yes, two weeks....

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #39 on: 18 September 2020, 22:13 »
It certainly makes it easier if all you can choose is a colour and the car appears 2 weeks later. I was looking at German Hyundai site (after reading some i30 owner comments) and in Germany they are far more options to pick and choose.

I’m probably getting into an area I don’t fully understand but I’m sure I heard Hyundai UK was independent unlike VW UK which is owned by VW Germany ( I think). So I think maybe that is why Hyundai just get a stock of fully loaded i30N in a selection of colours as that is more suitable arrangement for their finances and say VW has the choice to spec a car if the prebuilt ones aren’t what you want. Totally happy to be shot down if talking rubbish.

On fuel economy, if asked, I’d say my Golf R gets average 33mpg. I know the combined WLTP mpg is pretty much the same, so pending a test drive I’d be happy to look at WLTP combined in other cars and rate them accordingly. Think i30N is a combined 34mpg but as mentioned before fuel economy can go up as well as down. :laugh:

2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red