Author Topic: Does any one know the law on protruding wheels from arch???  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Shizzle

• I live here
Re: Does any one know the law on protruding wheels from arch???
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2013, 10:28 »
How difficult is it to fit camber shims on a mk3 and do the screw bearing up faster than normal.

MK3 Golf GTI 2.0 16v 3Door Storm Grey

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2013, 11:06 »
My 9" et15 looked worse than that. I put on camber shims are pulled the arches out so the lip of rim was in line with lip of arch. I tucked my front and slammed it. Flush or poke on front does not work on low cars

Agreed, tuck the fronts and have the rears flush :cool:

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2013, 14:38 »
How difficult is it to fit camber shims on a mk3 and do the screw bearing up faster than normal.

I find very easy. I find small fiddly jobs hard. Anything big is easy. 
I didn't notice the difference, but even if they dont last as long. There as cheap as a pack of fags.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Shizzle

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2013, 14:59 »
Well seems like 1 of next buys with coilovers  :grin:

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2013, 19:23 »
its not good practice coz if you sideswipe a pedestrian then you will do a lot more damage with your wheels sticking out than if they were standard. and if that were to happen someone would be on the carpet.

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2013, 19:47 »
its not good practice coz if you sideswipe a pedestrian then you will do a lot more damage with your wheels sticking out than if they were standard. and if that were to happen someone would be on the carpet.

if you sideswipe a pedestrian they will be seriously injured maybe fatally injured with the rim sticking out or not!

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Brighouse-gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 19 October 2013, 21:47 »
I'd be less worried about the poke and more about the stretch. Rozzers had my pants down with regards to the stretch tyres I HAD on my mk2. (Yes coppers are eager round my way). Tyre manufacturers set out recommendations with tyres and the correct fitting. If there not within these recommendations then they can be deamed unfit for purpose, hence ending up with your prized posession in the pound. Also,  you should inform your insurance company, although the chances are they'll promptly tell you they won't insure you with stretch tyres on!!... But if for some strange reason they do, at least your covered if the worst shud happen. If you don't your insurance will be VOID for not declaring the stretch tyres (it is a modification) and then the coppers will well and truly shaft you!! (It's the voice of experience this!) But there again on the other hand, you could drive around for donkey years and not have any problems at all, it's just the risk you take!!
There is no law with regards to having stretch tyres, there not illegal, but you can still get shafted for them!

Offline Shizzle

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 19 October 2013, 22:09 »
I see you point woth tyres luckily police are very lenient rpund here and my speed is very slow im no speed freak specially with daughter in the car the picture does make it look worse than it is and its only a 195/45/15 on  9j I dodnt think it would evan stretch that much tbh.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 19 October 2013, 22:35 »
its the same as running around with a vr6 when your car is logged as a 1.3. you may never get busted until something goes wrong.

Offline Shizzle

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 19 October 2013, 22:59 »
Well going to ring insurance and look inot some arches for rear I think.