Author Topic: Seat Ibiza GTI / MKII GTI questions  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Logie

• GTI forum regular
Seat Ibiza GTI / MKII GTI questions
« on: 01 August 2005, 12:20 »
I hope this is the right place to post this.

Recently bought a MKII Golf GTI 1.8 8v. And, with my mates insurance up for renewal aswell he bought a Seat Ibiza GTI 2.0 8v (N Reg,)

Now, under then engine bay its looks 95% the same, except it says Seat on the head and the oil cap is on the opposite side and a black box with breather pipes on the other.

We recently took them to a private space to try em out and have ago of each others. Me thinking it would be noticebly quicker then mine, but infact, it was slower. Even if he got away better, mine would pull back infront and stride on infront!

Whats the specs on these cars? Weight, 0-60, Top Speed? I think the Golf is 113 BHP and the Seat 115 BHP?

Also mine sound like a 6 pot with a lovely growl, his sounds.... Like any other standard engine. Quite supprised really

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: Seat Ibiza GTI / MKII GTI questions
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2005, 12:31 »
I don't know anything about the Seat's but the mk2 8v has the following info in my little bible (I'm such a geek !  :grin: ). Maybe your mate needs his tuning up a little.  :undecided:

Unladen Weight 3 doors - 920kg
Unladen Weight 5 doors - 940kg
0 to 60 - 8.3 seconds
BHP - 112 @ 5,800rpm
max torque - 109lb/ft @ 3,500rpm
Top speed - 119mph

When did VW take over Seat ? An N reg will be about 95ish.
......now officially dubless.

Offline Logie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2005, 12:33 »
Sorry i thought they were part of the VAG group? But i do know there spanish. That era of the Ibiza was built on the MK4 Polo and its a VW Block. Lots of the parts even have VW Stamps

Or do they just share parts?

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2005, 12:37 »
I think I confused with that question, over the t'internet it probably got lost in translation. Yes, Seats are part of VAG but I was wondering when VW took them on as I was thinking that if it was before 95 then your engines may look the same but if they bought them after 95 then it would seem strange that they look the same unless Seat were buying engines from VW before they took them over.   :smiley:
« Last Edit: 01 August 2005, 12:40 by gibby »
......now officially dubless.

Offline Logie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2005, 12:39 »
Exactly the same, its even at that strange angle. Why did they angle like that for? Personally i've not seen it doen in any other car!

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2005, 12:42 »
93 with the introduction of the ibiza was when vag took over afaik

those little ibiza's are bloody light

SEAT
Ibiza (93-99)

Length 3813 mm
Width 1640 mm
Height 1424 mm
Weight 895 kg

although parkers doesn't say which engine is that weight..

might be the gearing, might be that your mate can't drive.. or might be it just needs a little tweak to get it running properly. both the cars should be level pegging with a slight advantage to the seat.

Offline Logie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2005, 12:48 »
I always thought he be pulling after then 100 mark. But its not so, personally i think its his driving although driving the car its fast, but at 80 its like we have just started pulling a dead weight.

Its got a really firm ride and it comes pretty low standard, great handling. Golf is like a boat compared. But, few months and the Golf will be like a Go-Kart :)

But its nothing compared to the Golf, no class, style or History :) And the noise it makes is a let down :)

Offline bretttuk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2005, 12:59 »
LoL .. no class , style or history ..... was it not the Ibiza that won the F2 Rally 3 yrs in a row ??? ... that must be some history there .. no class or style... they are basically VW's !!

Anyway, from that.. I have own 3 Ibizas from the 1.4 to 2.0 8v to the 2.0 16v .. and they were great cars, 8v was really torquey and good handler from start but with uprated suspension and brakes this is wonderful car for flininging around corners.. the 16v loved a good thrashing and loved to be treated rough per se.

After writing the 16v off by rear ending someone, i have now gone to a Golf mk2 16v, this car is far rougher, edgier and rawer than the ibiza obviously due to the age and it feels lots of fun and it likes being driven and thrown into corners.

Both great cars ...

Offline Logie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2005, 13:10 »
I guess you have a point. But you say Golf GTI and most people know what that is, its a classic. Its a car that started the hot hatch revolution really with the Pug 205 GTI. You dont get that with the Ibiza unless there into Rallying!

But the Ibiza, you have that altough i agree with you. As stanard i was very impressed with the handling, but personally i found that its very rough to drive. But i guess thats down to how the car has been treated in the past.

Offline bretttuk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2005, 13:26 »
I would put the rough drive down to how it has been treated, but just like VW .. they are bullet proof...., i am just in the process of replacing a lot of items on my Golf 16v to bring it up to that "tight" standard where everything is working nice and smoothly ... should be for the end of this week... o , and a solid engine mount next week ...

Look forward to when that has happened, i am looking forward to some spirited driving in the original hot hatch .. one thing about the Ibiza though, it is quite a sleeper .. there was many a times i have surprised plenty of people with the car as they just didnt expect it to be so punchy and be right there with them.

Happy driving ...

Brett