Author Topic: what should i get, stuck!  (Read 3691 times)

Offline DanSN1

• GTI forum regular
Re: what should i get, stuck!
« Reply #30 on: 07 October 2011, 23:02 »
They were a bit cheaper and came out during a time when mortgages went up to 15% and the economy was fckd.
You can pick up running a Mk3 for a little as £300 and a tidy one from £500, I see them being towed into the scrap yard next to my work all day.
I reckon i could buy you one in my lunch break on monday and make a profit selling at the above prices.
Do look around and dont rush in, check rust page and buyers guide in mk3 section :wink:

shall do mate, now to find a tidy example near west sussex!

Offline xr2 crazy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 09 October 2011, 16:03 »
you will get a mk4 for that kind of money. :wink:

Offline stevesdub

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 09 October 2011, 17:04 »
having owned 7 mk1 gti's inc 3 cabs, and 3 mk2 gti's and a mk3 and 4 over the last 25 years...my opinion would that a mk1 for a grand will be a sh*t box the same i would say for a mk2 too. a mk4 for a grand will be a sh*t box too.
buy a mk3, but do check for rot!
the 1.8 8v... always had more low down torque , where as a 16v pulled more rpm and did have more bhp...but you had to work it to get it.

its you 1st car and the insurance is goiong to rape you...also you say you have limited mechanicle skills....done buy somebody elses played with toy...its bound to have serios bodging from what ive seen in the past.
buy a nice clean standard car and just enjoy it.

Offline DanSN1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 10 October 2011, 17:25 »
having owned 7 mk1 gti's inc 3 cabs, and 3 mk2 gti's and a mk3 and 4 over the last 25 years...my opinion would that a mk1 for a grand will be a sh*t box the same i would say for a mk2 too. a mk4 for a grand will be a sh*t box too.
buy a mk3, but do check for rot!
the 1.8 8v... always had more low down torque , where as a 16v pulled more rpm and did have more bhp...but you had to work it to get it.

its you 1st car and the insurance is goiong to rape you...also you say you have limited mechanicle skills....done buy somebody elses played with toy...its bound to have serios bodging from what ive seen in the past.
buy a nice clean standard car and just enjoy it.

i'm going mk3 thanks to previous posts but cheers for reinforcing that! 16v is supposedly 2/3 seconds quicker to 60 than 8v according to autotrader :S

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 10 October 2011, 17:47 »
Well official figures put the 8v to 60 at 10.1 seconds. Trust me, a 16v will not get there in 7-8 seconds! :grin:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #35 on: 10 October 2011, 18:57 »
1.8 N/A is even worse than a Mk3 8v!
Lol, no, it's not.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline DanSN1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 10 October 2011, 21:29 »
so basically, the mk3 is the unwanted child of the golf family. guess it's a perfect first car. slow and fat in any model hahahaha, ah well, we can at least make it look the part.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 10 October 2011, 22:03 »
Not really. Just 99% of non owners jump on the band wagon. Most who have had one will defend it as a decent enough car. I've actually developed a hatred for the mk4. Fat and ugly IMO. Mk2s look like bricks on wheels, mk1s do look good and are proper classics. Mk5s (have owned one myself) were pretty good if a little uninspiring, and mk6s are lacking build quality of previous vw's. Just my 2 pennies worth, and I reiterate I've only owned my current mk3 and a mk5. Everyone has their own, or borrowed opinions.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline DanSN1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 10 October 2011, 22:16 »
Not really. Just 99% of non owners jump on the band wagon. Most who have had one will defend it as a decent enough car. I've actually developed a hatred for the mk4. Fat and ugly IMO. Mk2s look like bricks on wheels, mk1s do look good and are proper classics. Mk5s (have owned one myself) were pretty good if a little uninspiring, and mk6s are lacking build quality of previous vw's. Just my 2 pennies worth, and I reiterate I've only owned my current mk3 and a mk5. Everyone has their own, or borrowed opinions.

hmm, maybe so, my stepdad got my mum a mk5 r32 but sold it as it was too slow, getting the mk6 r i think next... quicker!

Offline jimmyshaw1980

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 11 October 2011, 10:42 »
MK2