Author Topic: what should i get, stuck!  (Read 3689 times)

Offline DanSN1

• GTI forum regular
Re: what should i get, stuck!
« Reply #20 on: 07 October 2011, 20:09 »
mk4 is just nah unless in r32 form, which i won't get insured onn!

dislike  :grin:

actually, can i take that back, your golf4 is soooo nice! but the money to get it looking that bang on is nuts, yours isn't anything like standard!

Offline DanSN1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 07 October 2011, 20:10 »
Suzuki swift gti, build quality is sh1te but man what a drive, that 1300 16v just goes and handles like a golf should.
205 GTI ^^^^^^^^^
306 GT16 ^^^^^^^^
S2 XR2  ^^^^^^^^^
could go on for ages

VW's are solid and reliable thats why I like them and as usual wayne hit the nail on the bonce.
Mk1's have some horrible flaws just like Mk2's, the Mk3 is a refined version of both.
If you want to talk real GTI's then VW are not top of the pack :smiley:

jap crap
french, nuff said
french, again
that's a ford... are you for real... :sick:

tell me of these flaws ahah, i'd consider powerful rwd jap but it's a first car

Offline daz veedub

• Forum addict
  • Operation 1.8t bolf
« Reply #22 on: 07 October 2011, 20:11 »
mk4 is just nah unless in r32 form, which i won't get insured onn!

dislike  :grin:

actually, can i take that back, your golf4 is soooo nice! but the money to get it looking that bang on is nuts, yours isn't anything like standard!

like  :cool: :smiley:

Offline DanSN1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 07 October 2011, 20:19 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208472.msg1935876;topicseen#msg1935876
[/quote

cheers for showing me that, looks awesome, may be interested if they are near or can get it near

VW BUSH

« Reply #24 on: 07 October 2011, 20:31 »
Yep for real.
All the cars i mentioned are worthy competition for the VW.
The term GT was taken up as a sales ploy by VW, they added an I and sold the masses an econo box as a sports car.
VW did it first so credit to them but a real "GTI" is far from what we drive. :smiley:

VW BUSH

« Reply #25 on: 07 October 2011, 20:53 »
MK1, Terrible brakes, electrial faults, rust, rattle cans hidden in all corners,iffy injection, stolen very easily, nasty crap plastic and card board interiors.
Mk2, Better brakes, electical faults, stolen very easily, unlike the add lots of rattles, K jet, dodgey clocks
Well just go back in history and look at the question and answers in the various sections.
Granted better build than the french and ford equivs, i would go back on what i said about the swift as i never had a handle come off in my hand, just bloody boring and plasticy inside.
My mates swift did an oil pump or two in its life but it out drove my Golfs and did not fall apart under the relentless boy racer ragging it got, the 4wd was just awsome.

By a VW for looks build and retro cool, but to use the term real GTI and say any car badged as such is not one is bit thin if you have not even owned a car let alone a number of GTI's :smiley:

When i could not afford to buy and insure a GTI i went for few types of RWD 170bhp turbo's :lipsrsealed:

Offline DanSN1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 07 October 2011, 21:12 »
MK1, Terrible brakes, electrial faults, rust, rattle cans hidden in all corners,iffy injection, stolen very easily, nasty crap plastic and card board interiors.
Mk2, Better brakes, electical faults, stolen very easily, unlike the add lots of rattles, K jet, dodgey clocks
Well just go back in history and look at the question and answers in the various sections.
Granted better build than the french and ford equivs, i would go back on what i said about the swift as i never had a handle come off in my hand, just bloody boring and plasticy inside.
My mates swift did an oil pump or two in its life but it out drove my Golfs and did not fall apart under the relentless boy racer ragging it got, the 4wd was just awsome.

By a VW for looks build and retro cool, but to use the term real GTI and say any car badged as such is not one is bit thin if you have not even owned a car let alone a number of GTI's :smiley:

When i could not afford to buy and insure a GTI i went for few types of RWD 170bhp turbo's :lipsrsealed:

sounds you know your stuff! maybe fair points, but i got a thing for golfs, except standard 4sand5's, shame the 3 was so heavy! so you reckon 3 is the way to go, or a 2?

VW BUSH

« Reply #27 on: 07 October 2011, 21:23 »
Mate there are people on here who have forgotten more than i know, get a Mk1/2 if you have lots of cash or have time skills and a little cash.
Get a mk3 if you have none of the above, you have not owned a fast car so an 8v GTI will feel like the starship enterprise and be cheap enough to fix when it does go wrong.
A Mk1/2/3 will cost you a bomb to insure, the first two will drink fuel by todays standards and you will have a heavy right foot for at least few years :grin:
The Mk3 8v is pretty good on fuel as is the 16v, but 8 more valves on a first car will involve vaseline and leather belt to bite on
A Mk4 will involve a breather while the brokers mate gets ready for his go :grin:

I would probs buy a mk3 8v or maybe a better choice a mk2 cl/Driver and make it look if it was a GTI if i was in your position and had to have a "GTI" type of car. :smiley:

Offline DanSN1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 07 October 2011, 21:38 »
shame the mk2's are so pretty, maybe i will get one when im older, and ima go big or go home person, so real gti or no gti! why make it into something it isn't! right, i will look into mk3's, tidy 16 has been reccomended, why are 8v's so much more common though...

VW BUSH

« Reply #29 on: 07 October 2011, 21:47 »
They were a bit cheaper and came out during a time when mortgages went up to 15% and the economy was fckd.
You can pick up running a Mk3 for a little as £300 and a tidy one from £500, I see them being towed into the scrap yard next to my work all day.
I reckon i could buy you one in my lunch break on monday and make a profit selling at the above prices.
Do look around and dont rush in, check rust page and buyers guide in mk3 section :wink: