Author Topic: VW's and marques owned by VW........  (Read 4207 times)

Jimmymature

Re: VW's and marques owned by VW........
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2011, 21:35 »
However after a couple of years with the Cupra, the build quality came to be it's downfall. Constant rattles, bits falling off. My point is, in the end you get's what you pay's for.
I disagree with that from experience and still a mk1 Leon owner. VW are trading off a name. My mk6 is not build/assembled anywere near as well as our 2005 leon is. My Golf rattles in many places and has cost cutting wrote all over it. Our leon has had one rattle in 6 years (back seat catches (Mk6 has one there too :grin: )
I had a SEAT Ibiza GTI16V back in 97 for 4 years and we owned a polo for the same length of time, at the same time as the Ibiza. It was the polo that gave us problems not the Ibiza.

Sorry mate, I dont agree.  I test drove a Leon R before getting my GTI and had an A3 before and the Mk6 GTI is better quality inside for sure.

;o)

Offline Tone2have

• GTI forum regular
  • Gutted - stolen April 10 but now black is back!
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2011, 21:36 »
However after a couple of years with the Cupra, the build quality came to be it's downfall. Constant rattles, bits falling off. My point is, in the end you get's what you pay's for.
I disagree with that from experience and still a mk1 Leon owner. VW are trading off a name. My mk6 is not build/assembled anywere near as well as our 2005 leon is. My Golf rattles in many places and has cost cutting wrote all over it. Our leon has had one rattle in 6 years (back seat catches (Mk6 has one there too :grin: )
Snoopy, I'll not argue the Leon Cupra was a fine car. The first time I seiously put it into a corner I had to peel myself off the side window! It also had quite a bad turbo lag, which I only found when I tried having blast with an R32! However in the end it was like an airfix model. I spent more time sticking back the plastic dashboard plugs than I did hoovering the bloody thing! Perhaps this was in part down to my driving! :grin:   

GTI MK6 black, man, 5 dr, 18" Monza shadow, Xenons, RCD510 Dyna Audio, Winter pack, ordered Sept 2009 - Delivered April 2010, stolen next day - gutted

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2011, 21:36 »
It has been said in inhouse meeting by head of Audi that they need to 'rise to skoda build quality levels and standard'.  :grin: Its well known on the inside of the group that skoda has led the way for quite a few years.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2011, 21:39 »
I had a SEAT Ibiza GTI16V back in 97 for 4 years and we owned a polo for the same length of time, at the same time as the Ibiza. It was the polo that gave us problems not the Ibiza.

Sorry mate, I dont agree.  I test drove a Leon R before getting my GTI and had an A3 before and the Mk6 GTI is better quality inside for sure.
See there we go. Another person who does not understand the correct meening of quality. Sorry but touchy feely plastics is not quality. This is why VW con the general public and writer journos to believe they are superior. Because non have any idea what engineering, correct design, assembly standards and the real meening of quality is. RANT OVER :grin:  :smiley:

PS
I said nothing about the mk2 leon :wink:
As a design engineer i do assess things alittle different to alot of people.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2011, 21:51 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Jimmymature

« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2011, 21:50 »

See there we go. Another person who does not understand the correct meening of quality. Sorry but touchy feely plastics is not quality. This is why VW con the general public and writer journos to believe they are superior. Because non have any idea what engineering, correct design, assembly standards and the real meening of quality is. RANT OVER :grin:  :smiley:

PS
I said nothing about the mk2 leon :wink:

Funny how you think I don't understand the meaning of quality, I could suggest neither do you but I won't  :evil:

Jim

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #15 on: 21 January 2011, 21:54 »
Funny how you think I don't understand the meaning of quality, I could suggest neither do you but I won't  :evil:

Jim
You posted the standard responce of a golf owner. I have heard it too many time over the years, so it gets to me, maybe you do understand but by that single reply i assumed you do not. But they do say assumptions is the mother of all f**kups!
I have quite a few threads on here showing VW cost cutting and 'quality'  :grin:
I am also a design engineer by trade and have in the past been consulted by nissan quality engineers on my views on certain aspects of pre-production models, so i must know something  :grin:
« Last Edit: 21 January 2011, 22:01 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Jimmymature

« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2011, 22:00 »

Jim
I have quite a few threads on here showing VW cost cutting and 'quality'   :grin:
I am also a design engineer by trade and have in the past been consulted by nissan quality engineers on my views on certain aspects of pre-production models, so i must know something  :grin:

I know what I like and I like my GTI, imo it's better 'quality' than my Audi A3.  And my opinion is the opinion I always listen to  :grin:

Jim

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2011, 22:06 »
If you had said better feeling to the touch interior, better looking interior and looks more expensive interior i would agree. The interior feel and outside looks is what got me to buy one.

But the build standards, cost cutting, poor elec & mech design aspects is why i would never buy another.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2011, 22:09 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2011, 22:10 »
The mk6 is apparantly cheaper to produce than the mk5 was.

So, yes that is cost cutting.

However the mk6 is a better quality car in all respects. I've owned both, I know.

It's just as much down to manufacturing processes and supplier contracts as it is engineering.
VW decided they needed to make the Golf cheaper per unit as the costs for the mk5 were ridiculous compared with the Ford Focus at the time.

They've done a brilliant job.
Modern cars are never going to be as over engineered as the mk1/2 Golfs were but the Modern mk6 is still a quality piece of work.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2011, 22:18 »
They've done a brilliant job.
Modern cars are never going to be as over engineered as the mk1/2 Golfs were but the Modern mk6 is still a quality piece of work.
The design-->production process and comunication at VW was dire, well a shambles, no a disgrace/mess. Its why the mk5 was expensive to produce. I work with Design Engineers similar to ones like  designed certain asspects of the mk5 and don't think too far ahead and how are you going to produce that on a large scale to small tolerances. Having to assemble all those tiny parts when you could have made it one larger peace and had the same performance, I have to head them off daily.

Other companies manage to cut the cost but don't cut as many corners and design things the correct way and take basic design principals into account why carn't VW. Maybe its the high labour rates and been held to ransom by there workforce so they have to cut back even further than any other company to keep the price right.
Heres an example, VW in the trade (other car manufacturers) was held in very high regard to there look of the engine bay. They wanted to copy it. The covers the engine skid pans etc. Now they laff at VW for cutting corners in there. :embarassed:

I think The difference is you guys use the word 'quality' like marketing men use it and jounos, basically saying it has a nice feeling expensive looking interior. But i use the word as engineers do, correctly designed, extreme enviromental tested for extended periords, tested to distruction, designed for idiot quick assembly, built right, correctly assembled,  no evidence of extreme cost cutting, etc etc. As a designer you don't have to cut corners extremely to cut costs if you know what your doing.

Anyway thats enough of my ranting as im starting to repeat myself... Time to get back on topic for me. :smiley:

They produce different versions of the same car with different badges because they can get away with doing it and they appeal to different groups. I know alot of other companys thought VWgroup would fall flat on there face doing it as there was too many over lapping cars. Now though alot of them have started doing it themselfs as they realise the BADGE meens alot to some people.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2011, 22:44 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI