Author Topic: Am I the next victim?  (Read 29023 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Am I the next victim?
« Reply #40 on: 09 December 2013, 19:49 »
Since im paying if it was me, I would tell them screw the instuction book do what I say as your expecting ME to pay.
I would have simply instructed them too.
Scan it and see the well known fault code.
Compression test it.
Inspect the head using an inspection camera.
Take the upper and lower timing chain covers off and check the timing is aligned or not or jumped one or more teeth.
Check the tensioner resting rachet is keeping the tension.

I would also be asking to speak face to face with the master tech doing the work!
Also supply him with a print out from the american forum of the know issue.

« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 19:53 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 09 December 2013, 19:53 »
@ the OP - Your dealer is taking the piss quite frankly  :angry:

yup! Thats what it feels like but I get that they have to make certain and cover their arses too
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 09 December 2013, 19:55 »
Well after the £450 odd for the initial diagnostics I received a call today saying further investigation work is needed and I now have to authorise £912!!

The caller said it looks upto now that it will be covered under warranty but they won't know until they have done the next stage of the investigation.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Authorise it, you haven't handed a penny over. It was the same for me, it's not ideal but to progress to the next stage this is necessary.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 09 December 2013, 19:55 »
We could do with knowing some figures ie how many has it happened to on here alone?

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 09 December 2013, 19:56 »
Well after the £450 odd for the initial diagnostics I received a call today saying further investigation work is needed and I now have to authorise £912!!

The caller said it looks upto now that it will be covered under warranty but they won't know until they have done the next stage of the investigation.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Authorise it, you haven't handed a penny over. It was the same for me, it's not ideal but to progress to the next stage this is necessary.

Yup I have done, but the calls are not recorded so I could always deny I authorised it  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #45 on: 09 December 2013, 20:02 »
We could do with knowing some figures ie how many has it happened to on here alone?
Try a search I think ive comented on every single one so far as I brought it to peoples attension on here originally.
Maybe a search fir chain or maybe tensioner with my username.

Ps
If you want to create a new thread with the links to all the cases and relevant threads linked in as a reference I will make it a sticky at the top of the forum. Ive been meaning to do this for ages but i only ever seem to get time to access here by phone.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 20:07 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 09 December 2013, 20:14 »
Try a search I think ive comented on every single one so far as I brought it to peoples attension on here originally.
Maybe a search fir chain or maybe tensioner with my username.

Ps
If you want to create a new thread with the links to all the cases and relevant threads linked in as a reference I will make it a sticky at the top of the forum. Ive been meaning to do this for ages but i only ever seem to get time to access here by phone.

Will have a search in a min and I think making this a sticky would be a great idea!

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #47 on: 09 December 2013, 20:25 »
+1
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 09 December 2013, 20:43 »
Can you guys have a quick read of my situation and what im best doing - link below

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,76423.msg803556.html#msg803556

Thanks fellas...

Unless the part is inspected beforehand it would be hard to prove otherwise. I explained the issue the week before mine failed when it was in for a service and they put on the paper work nothing abnormal observed (Surprise). When I questioned this they denied hearing any noise even though it made it every time it started, more so on first start which is why I left the car at the Dealership over night.

But then how much can be inferred from listening to a noise on start up? These places work in a regimented manner/off a script and don't tend to deviate. Print off the TPI and investigate as per the instructions, which is what they are paid to do.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 09 December 2013, 20:57 »
Can you guys have a quick read of my situation and what im best doing - link below

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,76423.msg803556.html#msg803556

Thanks fellas...

Not sure where you would stand with that warranty.

I would get it checked out at an indy, get in touch with VW and state your concerns and ask if they will do a deal on renewing the tensioner