Author Topic: short time insurance  (Read 3016 times)

Offline phil88

• GTI forum regular
short time insurance
« on: 01 March 2007, 16:30 »
im 19 and at uni, got myself a mk2 16v as a project car for when i go home, i recon by the summer it would be road worthy but then the problem would be insuring it, i woudnt be able to afford it, ive looked at short time insurance which ranges between 1-28 days but everyone ive looked at, you have to be over 21.  just want to know if you could get insurance for about a month?

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: short time insurance
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2007, 16:58 »
I can do short term insurance for anything from 14days to 6months cover, our minimum age is 20 for TPFT cover. Im afraid i dont know of any companies that cover younger drivers for short term insurance.

Martin  :smiley:

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2007, 18:10 »
when I was looking for short term insurance i found that most, if not all, are 21, youngest i found was your good selves martin at 20

Offline mk3-ralf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2007, 23:20 »
phil88 i kno how u feel mate..im in exactli the same position as u.apart from my insurance runs out in august and i go uni in september..the only thing someone mentioned was getting a normal policy and then cancelling it when you go to uni..but there is usually a smallish cancellation fee aswell..not exactly sure on the amount..will the insurance company have a problem with me doing that??

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2007, 09:30 »
If you take a policy you do have the right to cancel at any time but often there is a cancellation fee which will vary with insurers

Martin  :smiley:

Offline phil88

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2007, 18:12 »
cool thanks for ur info, it wont bother me too much, i got the car for nothing anyway. ill just have to drive my mums 1.1 litre C2 for a bit longer. supose the money would be spending on my insurance i could now put towards my car.

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2007, 01:35 »
Do you already have a policy with anyone?

Im with Bell and they allowed me to add cars to my policy short term.
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2007, 02:07 »
elephant let you do that as well

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2007, 21:58 »
Yeah i think that as an option with must insurers too, usualy subject to terms tho eg it cannot be higher group/value than your existing car  :smiley:

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2007, 05:42 »
with elephant it was for a maximum of three months a year and you had to renew it every 30 days if you wanted the second car on there