Author Topic: Proper Clean After Unwashed Collection.  (Read 12458 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Proper Clean After Unwashed Collection.
« Reply #30 on: 07 April 2016, 12:21 »
.............but jeez the paintwork is totally covered in fallout/iron deposits which really surprised me as the car was only built 2 weeks ago. The roof, bonnet and tailgate are all fine as they were protected with covers.

It will be because they travel on a train to Emden
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline CARMAD KEV

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 07 April 2016, 22:04 »
Managed to get the iron x lemon scent on after dinner tonight and it worked really well. And not too smelly.

Covered the entire car with the 500ml bottle and left it for 10 minutes then gave it a wash with hot soapy turtle wax car shampoo. And then gave it a good long rinse.

Paintwork is so much smoother now.

It was hard to see the iron x working on a black car but the driveway was very red. I would recommend it.

Neighbours think i am a twit washing it twice in two days but i know i like many others am quite normal.

Will probably clay it tomorrow and give it another wash.

It's not even mine (it's the wifes)

DEEP PEARL BLACK 5 DOOR GTI (STANDARD SPEC) 6/4/16

CARBON BLACK 520D M SPORT SALOON (AUTO)
MILE MUNCHING COMPANY CAR 1/5/15

Offline golfguyuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 08 April 2016, 07:53 »
Would love to see pictures of your detailed dbp gti!  I just picked up the same about 3 weeks ago and love it. And intend to do a Rebecca detail this weekend :)

I have a question though and maybe others can answer. I have purchased detailing products and intend to do a wash clay and seal this weekend but I have not bought any iron x or tar remover. Will I be doing irreversible damage to my car without doing iron x and tar remover before I start claying and sealing?  Shud i wait till I can get these two products first?

Thanks all!

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 09 April 2016, 12:42 »

Neighbours think i am a twit washing it twice in two days but i know i like many others am quite normal.

Yes kev it's quite normal. I washed my GTD about 4 or 5 times in the first couple of weeks! It is in dire need of a good clean now though as it's only had a 'quick' snow foam wash for the past 3 or 4 weeks as I haven't had the time for more. Hoping to do it when I get home from work at 6.30 tonight weather permitting, and it will be going dark by the time I've finished!

You're not too far from me so will keep any eye out for a nice looking DPB GTI if I go to EK!  :wink:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 10 April 2016, 02:50 »
Would love to see pictures of your detailed dbp gti!  I just picked up the same about 3 weeks ago and love it. And intend to do a Rebecca detail this weekend :)

I have a question though and maybe others can answer. I have purchased detailing products and intend to do a wash clay and seal this weekend but I have not bought any iron x or tar remover. Will I be doing irreversible damage to my car without doing iron x and tar remover before I start claying and sealing?  Shud i wait till I can get these two products first?

Thanks all!

The short answer is, yes, you should wait till you have those products.

My advice, before going as far as claying, would be to give the whole car a going over with some tar/glue remover (Tardis) and iron/fallout remover (Iron X). That may well be sufficient to remove the embedded contaminants, and claying might not actually be necessary.

I wouldn't clay a car without first using an iron remover and a tar remover.  Far better IMO, to use these 'less touch' solutions to remove as much of the embedded contaminants before you move onto claying, which, even with a careful technique is prone to marring the paint, and is the reason claying is best followed up by a polish with a DA or by hand to remove any marks left by the clay.  With both tar remover and iron remover you simply spray it on, leave for 5 mins and then very gently wipe over with a soft microfibre, and rinse off with a pressure washer, so there is only small risk of marring the paint, and it will bring off much of the contaminants leaving the minimum (if any) to be removed with the clay. Going straight in with claying is a risky business as there is potentially a lot of stuff on the surface to be rubbed into the paint if you are not careful.  With clay bar/mitt/cloth, although used well lubricated, you are still dragging it back and forth over the entire surface of the paint.  That undoubtedly increases the risk of marking the paint.  Nothing that a polish won't easily sort of course, but much better to let the tar and iron remover get rid of the majority first.

If you do the de-iron and de-tar stages, you can check to see how clear the paintwork is by doing the sandwich bag test - get a plastic sandwich bag and slip it over your hand, then simply run your palm over areas of the paintwork, and it will emphasise anything embedded into the paintwork. The glassier the paintwork feels, the better, and the least contiminants are remaining. You can do this prior to decontamination too, to see how much contaminant is on the paintwork, then do it after decontamination to feel the difference. If done following the Tar and Iron phases you will be able to tell if claying is really needed.

Of course after decontamination you will need to reapply your chosen protection as decon strips everything off.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #35 on: 10 April 2016, 12:21 »
I didn't clay my car when I did its first detail.
In truth I used tardis on the entire car and then attempted to clay it using a combination of born slippy and dodo juice fine clay. It was a fecking disaster!
All I seemed to do was smear clay over the paintwork which I then had to remove with more tardis. Did I mention I am a novice when it comes to detailing?
I ended up using Meguiars scratch X on the entire car and then finishing off with gteckniq C2.
I hope all this isn't making you feel queasy Rebecca.
Anyway it turned out fine and I've had a bit of an education to boot.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 10 April 2016, 14:01 »
In truth I used tardis on the entire car and then attempted to clay it using a combination of born slippy and dodo juice fine clay. It was a fecking disaster!
All I seemed to do was smear clay over the paintwork which I then had to remove with more tardis. Did I mention I am a novice when it comes to detailing?
I ended up using Meguiars scratch X on the entire car and then finishing off with gteckniq C2.

My point exactly.  Meguiars Scrtach X is a polishing cutting compound, so you polished your car after the claying, which is the better approach, IF claying at all.  That will have removed any clay marring.   If you didn't get on with the DJ clay, and it is a learning curve, I would highly recommend ditching a traditional clay bar in favour of a more user friendly clay mitt.  You won't go far wrong with the WoWo Clay Mitt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wo-Wo-Professional-Clay-Detailling-Mitt/dp/B01CUIJXTS/ref=sr_1_2/276-4324798-9076614?m=AAXSCP8R55HSB&s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460292919&sr=1-2&keywords=Wo-wo

WoWo website is being upgraded so only available via Amazon at the moment, but usually on he normal website you get the forum 20% off with code GTIFORUM20.

Review of the mitt here if you are interested http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276259.0
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: 10 April 2016, 14:31 »

My point exactly.  Meguiars Scrtach X is a polishing cutting compound, so you polished your car after the claying, which is the better approach, IF claying at all.  That will have removed any clay marring.   If you didn't get on with the DJ clay, and it is a learning curve, I would highly recommend ditching a traditional clay bar in favour of a more user friendly clay mitt.  You won't go far wrong with the WoWo Clay Mitt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wo-Wo-Professional-Clay-Detailling-Mitt/dp/B01CUIJXTS/ref=sr_1_2/276-4324798-9076614?m=AAXSCP8R55HSB&s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460292919&sr=1-2&keywords=Wo-wo

WoWo website is being upgraded so only available via Amazon at the moment, but usually on he normal website you get the forum 20% off with code GTIFORUM20.

Review of the mitt here if you are interested http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276259.0

We can still offer the forum discount on phone orders, we'll just raise a PayPal invoice. Hope that helps?

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 10 April 2016, 16:56 »
I always;
- tell them not to wash it
- get them to write it on their worksheet and the tag they tie on your keys
- hang this on the interior rear view mirror; http://carboncollective.com/product/do-not-wash-pvc-hook/

It's worked so far, although the dealer I use knows I'm OCD about my car!
Hmmm I have to go further than that - I stick A4 sized notices on the inside of the windows on both sides of the car - its the only way to ensure its not washed when left at the dealers.