Author Topic: Newbie to the forum and to VW’s  (Read 2352 times)

Offline R1Racer

• Just got here
Newbie to the forum and to VW’s
« on: 11 September 2019, 11:04 »
hey guys,

Just a quick “hello”. Pick up a 2000 GTi 150hp (ARZ) next week. Completely standard 5 door hatch in black.

Bought as a cheap run about whilst my usual car awaits a new alternator. However whilst away at work I have started to form a little plan for it, so have already bought a K04, manifold, 360cc injectors, FMIC, uprated fuel pump, adjustable FPR, K04 oil and water lines etc. Haven’t decided on coilovers yet or what to do regarding brakes, Porker 986 Brembos could be my chosen route tho.

The plan is to have a weekend car that is relatively quick and able to hold its own down the 1/4 mile. My oldest son is now 9, so trying to get him into cars and motorsport, he absolutely hated watching me race my R1 so hopefully this gauges his interest, more so as I’m going to try get him involved hands on with stripping and fitting parts as far as possible.

This is my first VW ever, so I’m sure I will be asking a lot of questions, especially regarding modifications and tuning :grin:

I normally indulge my car/squandering money passion in Jap metal(big power R32, big power race spec RX7 or racing a Yam R1 etc), so this build is a nice change for me, shocked at how cheap(in comparison anyway) these things are to build to a nice useable spec.

Anyway, will start a members car thread once I actually collect the car and once parts start arriving and getting fitted.

Cheers

Ricky
« Last Edit: 12 September 2019, 11:07 by R1Racer »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Newbie to the forum and to VW’s
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2019, 15:39 »
welcome  :smiley: have you bought the car yet

Offline R1Racer

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2019, 15:43 »

Thanks. Have got a deposit on it, collect it Tuesday.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2019, 16:01 »

Thanks. Have got a deposit on it, collect it Tuesday.

Ah ok  :smiley:

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2019, 19:47 »
Enjoy!
I look forward to seeing some pics and reading your build thread  :wink:

Build thread clicky

Offline R1Racer

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2019, 16:20 »
Enjoy!
I look forward to seeing some pics and reading your build thread  :wink:

Cheers mate. Collected the car yesterday, stopped half way up (Penrith) with the missus for an over nighter. Drove up the road fine until about 2 miles from the door it stopped working, seems the alternator is away, so spent an hour or so  this afternoon testing the current it produced with a fresh battery (11.7 volts) and then removing the offending alternator. Replacement eBay unit to be fitted soon.

Offline R1Racer

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2019, 15:21 »
Well turns out the used “working” alternator I bought off of eBay was a worthless heap of crap, would you believe :laugh: never mind, nice new unit arriving tomorrow from Eurocarparts :cool:

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2019, 19:49 »
The joys of ownership..  :undecided:
Got any pics?

Build thread clicky