Author Topic: Repair or not before p/ex  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Repair or not before p/ex
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2019, 11:05 »
That sounds like they’re just going to turn the wheel on the lathe and leave it.
To get it polished, lacquered and cured in under a day sounds optimistic.
Then there’s the issue of the black paint and the fresh lacquer. If they’ve not keyed the paint the lacquer won’t stick very well at best.
Are they actually going to lacquer it?  :shocked:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2019, 11:36 »
Thanks Exonian that’s a good point. Think I’ll take it for a second opinion somewhere when I get chance.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2019, 11:45 »
I understand it's bothering you Pixwix but all you are doing is putting more profit in the dealer's pocket. You won't get much benefit from it as June is not far off. That £120 would pay for a GAP insurance on the new car on nearly a year's VED. I've got slight scuffs on at least two of my wheels and whilst they bother me, I only notice them when I wash the car...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2019, 11:55 »
In the same situation regarding the alloys on mine. Test drove an S3 yesterday & the salesman came out to have a look at the Golf as a part ex. I told him the front alloys had a couple of scuffs, but he didn't even bother looking at them! He was too busy prancing around with his shiny Ipad taking a few photos from a distance! I've decided not to bother getting them sorted!
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2019, 12:00 »
Actually I guess I should have started a new post as seriously thinking of getting it fixed as might not p/ex till June and it is annoying me.
My question I guess is more around the validity of the refurb guys assertion that has it hasn't touched the black paint (Austin) they can just sort the diamond cut bit, hence cheaper and quicker. I realise I ought to get a second visual opinion but the other recommended place is not open at weekends.

If it's bothering you, get it fixed. I'd get a valuation from the buyer at the dealership and see what he says. Ask him if there is anything that you can do to improve the price if you feel it's low and see what he comes back with.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2019, 14:19 »
Personally I wouldn't bother as has been previously said it prolly won't affect the p/x price.
I had a small shallow dent in the rear passenger quarter on my Audi S1 I was p/x against my GTI PP and I was told don't bother as I was already getting the max they would offer for my car. On a previous p/x of a Cooper S against the Audi S1 I had a lightly kerbed alloy and same again it was not worth it when p/x at a main dealer, now if it was really bad or going through we buy any car etc or selling private then that is a different matter as private you will get knocked down a bit and even more so through we buy any car etc.