Author Topic: SteveP - '91 8v restore  (Read 2891 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
SteveP - '91 8v restore
« on: 19 October 2008, 11:09 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline SteveP

• I live here
Re: SteveP - '91 8v restore
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2008, 20:03 »
Thanks JV  :smiley:

After being hassled by Chuff for the past couple of weeks I thought it was finally time to get a thread started  :grin:

So here goes.

I started my quest for a MKII a couple of months ago as I wanted something to tinker with that would (hopefully) stop me doing too many things to my MK5 GTI Edition 30, after a few weeks I came across one advertised locally which fitted the bill.

The Car -

1991 J Plate 5 Door 8v GTI in Tornado Red
125,000 Miles
4 Previous owners
Completely Stock
Mechanically pretty sound but cosmetically in need of TLC

Pic's taken on the day I brought the car: -

One of main things that sold the car to me in the end was the amount of history it had as this is mainly going to be an original restore project. The file that came with the car has pretty much every invoice and receipt, plus every MOT and Tax Disc since new. The VW service history is present up until 80K then it was locally serviced by an independent garage.

Even the original sales invoice from the supplying dealer was there showing the purchase price, on the back it also showed the guy who brought it new part ex his Alfa 33 4C boxer for it.

Offline SteveP

• I live here
Re: SteveP - '91 8v restore
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2008, 20:14 »
Home coming day 10/09/08

It was a sunny september day and I had a smile ear to ear  :laugh: :laugh:

The car was about 35 miles away from home so got the train down to Tring to collect it and then had a bit of fun on the drive back taking the long way around on the country lanes (hence the bit of the front splitter hanging down on the photo below)  :evil:

Also found the first problem that the heater temp control cable is broken/disconnected so it was a bit warm for the journey home  :grin:

Here the arrival pics showing my little dub family  :smiley: