Author Topic: TT strut brace on a mk4 golf  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Ajamesc

• Not said much yet
TT strut brace on a mk4 golf
« on: 28 September 2017, 22:06 »
Fitted a tt strut brace to my golf tonight was only a tener so a cheap mod while I serviced it. Had to chop two brackets off the under side in the middle and chop the lip off on the n.s so it would fit round and under the bonnet strut. Paint it drill the strut top then bolt it up. So all in all not a bad cheap mod

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: TT strut brace on a mk4 golf
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2017, 14:39 »
I didn't have to chop anything out of mine...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2017, 16:27 »
Call me thick if you like...what's a TT strut brace? Where does it go and what does it do?
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2017, 16:46 »
Upper strut brace from the Mk1 Audi TT. Basically metal tube that connects the two strut towers together in the engine bay. It's standard fit from the factory on the Audi TT but not on the golf. Straight fit apart from you need to drill 3 holes in each of your strut towers to fit it.

Benefits are it tightens the front end up and prevents body roll/ flex. I had one on my old mk3 but not fitted one to the mk4 yet, I'm a bit bothered about drilling the holes but that's just me being precious lol.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2017, 18:52 »
Thanks OSR, got the gist now. I'm like you...no holes will be drilled anywhere, so no TT thingy for me.

:smiley:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Ajamesc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2017, 19:58 »
Thanks OSR, got the gist now. I'm like you...no holes will be drilled anywhere, so no TT thingy for me.

:smiley:

Definitely not a straight fit on my 54 reg tdi it dose not fit under the mount for the bonnet strut had to cut a fair bit out.

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2017, 18:20 »
You can get a bottom tt strut brace too, spans across the sub-frame under the dog bone.
Bolts on with riv-nuts in existing holes.